Log-Summary empty?

Good morning Community,

some weeks ago i freshly installed IPFire on an APU2 and then updated it to core 162.

IPFire version	IPFire 2.27 (x86_64) - core162
Pakfire version	2.27-x86_64
Kernel version	Linux ipfire.localdomain 5.15.6-ipfire #1 SMP Sun Dec 19 10:54:26 GMT 2021 x86_64 AMD GX-412TC SOC AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

is it normal that the log-summary is empty?

when i click on export i get the following error:

*** Error: There is no logfile defined. Do you have a /etc/logwatch/conf/logfiles/secure.conf file ?

thanks and best wishes

Marvin

Log summary is generated when you reboot IPFire and it is available for browsing the next day. Did not check the code, just poked my machine. Export will open the raw file of the log in the browser.

3 Likes

Hi,

in addition, the log summary is created every night at 00:05 AM (see here for technical details).

Therefore, you should see a log summary the next day after a fresh installation (if IPFire ran at 00:05 AM, otherwise the Cron job won’t be executed). In case you don’t, we might deal with a bug… :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂĽller

Good afternoon,

thanks for your responses!
i executed /usr/local/bin/logwatch and it told me that the tmpdir contains old files. I deleted those files, run it again and now i have a log for the past day visible in the wui log-summary. Im not sure whether it was automatically created because 00:05AM or by executing logwatch manually? I will check it again in the next couple days to see whether the logs will be created automatically.

Best regards

Marvin

1 Like

Hello,

it found the solution. It was a selfmade problem, i had the detail-level set to “Low”. Turning it back to default “Medium” it works

Best regards

Marvin

Just a heads-up that every time I’ve performed a from-scratch install, the default detail level for logging has been set to “Low”, not “Medium”. I’ve never installed a core older than 163, so I’m not sure what the default was prior to these most recent releases.

1 Like