LCD4Linux with support for Samsung SPL-105p

Beautiful good day.

Would it be possible to add a driver for the Samsung SPL-105p to the LCD4Linux?
I’ve already tried it myself, but I put the cards.

greetings

Marcel (Smooky)

Hi Marcel,

Unfortunately the drivers for LCD4Linux come as part of the source code file.

Normally the approach would be for you to contact the developers of that package and ask them to have the driver included.

Unfortunately nothing seems to have been worked on with LCD4Linux since the start of 2009. All the links to the source code no longer go anywhere and get a Not Found error message.

Last user mailing list entry is in 2016 and last developer reply in the developers mailing list was in 2015.

1 Like

Hi Adolf,

the drivers are included in the package of LCD4Linux.
A updated version is here https://github.com/TangoCash/lcd4linux
They only have to be specified in the ./configure .

e.g. ./configure --with-drivers='SamsungSPF' --with-plugins=all,!qnaplog,!dbus --prefix = / usr

or the same with all drivers then so

./configure --with-drivers=all --with-plugins=all,!qnaplog,!dbus --prefix=/usr

best regards

Marcel (Smooky)

Hi Marcel,

The default for the ./configure is --with-drivers=all if nothing is specified. So that is the case for the IPFire build.

I checked through the build log for lcd4linux and found that it could not find libjpeg.h and that caused it to disable the SamsungSPF driver.
There are a few other drivers that are disabled because some files could not be found during the build.
libjpeg.h is present in IPFire in the libjpeg core program but lcd4linux is not finding it.
LCD4Linux had to have autoupdate run on configure.in and autoreconf added to the build due to the last update of autoconf. LCD4Linux was not able to find lots of files and refused to build. This is because the LCD4Linux autotools programs were created with a much much older set of tools. The autoupdate and autoreconfigure solved the problems enough to successfully build but obviously not enough to find all files for all drivers.

I have looked at the new location you mention and there is a file from 2016 but no new versions since then. The Makefile.in is created with a slightly newer version of automake (2013 vs 2012) vs 2018 in IPFire but the configure file is made with the same version as the current installed one and that was built with an autoconf from 2012 and IPFire has 2021. The problem with the not found libjpeg.h file is from the ./configure stage so I am not very hopeful that it will be more successful.

Adolf

So I tried building the version of lcd4linux that you indicated.

I got a build that completed but with exactly the same files not found as with the previous version. So again SamsungSFP etc drivers not installed.

I can’t think at the moment how to make lcd4linux find libjpeg.h
I will try and see if I can come up with some idea.

Hi Adolf,

I got it working now.
I compiled it under Debian 9 and used the old libs for it. I could then simply use the binary and the libs on the IPFire. Now I have to see how I can get it to compile under IPFire so that everyone gets something out of it.
Instead of the small Pearl DPF, I now have a nice, large 10 inch picture frame for status messages. A dream .

Best regards

Marcel (Smooky)

Hi,

im still fighting get lcd4linux running on ipfire since it was dropped from pakfire.
lcd4proc is no alternative for me.
Could share the binaries and libs to help me get it running again like on my old ipcop?
would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Ben

Hi,

I assume the updated lcdproc that comes with Core Update 168 (testing) is not doing the trick for you as well?

On a general notice, it would be really great if these problems could be addressed with the maintainer(s) of lcdproc - carrying around a software that has been abandoned for a decade, with its upstream disappeared really smells like trouble. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

2 Likes

Hi Benjamin Knaub,
I feel like you.
I don’t want to do without LCD4Linux either.
Especially since lcdproc is just an inferior replacement.
Normally, no packages should be exchanged here that are not signed by Pakfire and it is probably frowned upon.
But since the package was once available and was then removed due to a lack of further development, I’m just assuming that in this case maybe a blind eye will be turned.
I once put together a package of my currently installed version that also contains my libs, config and all the gimmicks such as start/stop options under services, on/offline display or a dimming function and much more.

Instructions:

1. Attention, it is an old version not signed by Pakfire.
  2. Download >>>lcd4linux_v_0.11.1_x86_64.tar.gz<<< and save under /opt/pakfire/tmp.
  3. Change to the directory on the console with “cd /opt/pakfire/tmp” and unpack with “tar xvfz LCD4Linux_v_0.11.1_x86_64.tar.gz” (without quotes).
  4. Install on the console with “./install.sh” (without quotes).
  5. Adjust the config under /etc/lcd4linux.conf.
  6. Start LCD4Linux in the WebGUI under Services.
  7. Enjoy.

Best regards

Marcel (Smooky)

Hi Marcel,
you´re my hero!
I got my LCD back working.
you really made my day!

Background why i so sticking to lcd4linux:
I recently migrated to ipfire from ipcop that i ran for years
Cause in our new home i build up a 19"rack and move all the hardware
in new cases.
Thought it would be a good time to leave the obsolete ipcop.
after all work was done a noticed lcd4linux isnt available anymore.
Unfortunately with a new house and a lot of work and a child my time is
really tight :wink:
So i was really sad that all was perfect build up but i couldnt get this LCD working back.
But you solved it!

Thanks a lot!

I’m glad that I could help.
I can’t part with LCD4Linux either.

Best regards

Marcel (Smooky)

Hi @all

Since the Core Update 168 has removed some libs that are required for operation with LCD4Linux, I have created a new package which also contains the now missing libs.

You can download it here >>>lcd4linux_v_0.11.2_x86_64.tar.gz<<<

Regards

Marcel (Smooky)

2 Likes