Launching Our New Website 🎉

Just as a comment because I doubt many others are affected, but I find the front page of the new web site a bit unpleasant. I think the current terminology would be ‘triggering’. It is probably just a close-up or simulation of a small fire burning but it looks like a firestorm. I and my family have been in one and I read of others around the world each year. Sorry, just a personal impact. I preferred fire symbols.

3 Likes

We use Discourse and sadly they don’t seem to support the widest range or browsers.

1 Like

So both these addresses

and
https://community.ipfire.org
use discourse as underlying engine?

Just https://community.ipfire.org uses Discourse.

The Wiki was created by Michael @ms

and Rico @ric9

1 Like

Good job integrating the site with the wiki…

2 Likes

Sorry, I misread this. It is like @Jon says.

Our website uses standard web technology and should work well in all modern browsers.

very subjective opinion here, do with it as you may…

but I really hate this colour

It is very bright, very “alarmish” and combined with the pure white on the rest of the site, frankly, it is not a pleasant browsing experience. At all.

Neon colours are among the big no no’s for web design.

6 Likes

Of Course it’s a very subjective topic, but because we know that, Michael talked to a professional designer about this.
The pro picked the coulour(s), we thought about it and sticked to his opinion.

I don’t think it’s such a big no-no, if professionals use and recommend it.

1 Like

I agree with @sec-con - these are too bright.

Given the requirements of “fun” and “bright”, a professional designer would definitely pick something like this.

In my opinion this is not the right tone for a firewall disto that wants to be seriously considered.

3 Likes

Assuming I am clueless about web design and that any random “pro” is always right, are we?

To be fair there are as many takes on “good” web design as there are web designers. Having said that, most reasonable designers adhere to some basic standards and recommendations in the industry and while I do not know which link to use that is “respectable” enough - there are 100’s of sites, they are commonly available for anyone to see.

This is no T-Systems. Right? Please…?

1 Like

Good Morning everyone…

I am sad that I have to do this, but before we all continue wasting our time on this debate I will close this topic. But before, I will make a couple of last comments…

I am very sad to hear that some people are this vocal about all their dislikes on this website. Of course change is sometimes scary and change is not always good, but overwhelmingly the feedback that I have received from the launch of this new website has been good. People have been praising the fresh look (including our choice of colour) and complimented how well structured the website now is. It is organised and clean, and generally just visually pleasing. It is fun to spend time on it.

That was obviously our goal here, to make the website what the project actually is.

And so the design did not just drop from the sky. It is the result of long planning and many hours of hard work. The “random pro” did not just throw a dice which says that the colour of the day is #ff2e52. It is the result of the requirements and wishes that I brought forward. And I am very happy with that choice.

And so, as we don’t have anywhere to go from here, I will close this topic. I have heard your feedback, but there is nothing that I can do with it.

There won’t be any changes to the colour or the font. It works for the majority of people and it represents the project.

7 Likes

And this is crux of the problem.