IPSec Roadwarrior No DNS

Hello,

I am connecting to ipfire using IPSec Roadwarrior VPN config.

I set my IPSec network as 192.168.2.16/28 which is in my green 192.168.2.0/24, I modified DHCP on ipfire to never issue leases in that range to avoid a collision (leases start at 192.168.2.32).

I connect to the VPN and all seems well, I get issued the IP 192.168.2.17, ok that’s good. I do not get issued a DNS server… I assume I have to set one somewhere but I can’t see anywhere to set it?

But anyway, I try manually doing a lookup to the IPFire for DNS, nslookup ebay.com 192.168.2.1 and it just hangs seems I cannot do any DNS resolving by the IPFire. I can ping 192.168.2.1 but no DNS resolution.

I feel like I am missing something but I followed the wikis and it doesn’t seem to mention what to do for DNS.

“Local subnet” of the connection is set to 0.0.0.0/0 as per the wiki. I tried setting it as green as well but that didn’t seem to help either.

Now that is strange, I had a firewall rule that stops UDP 53 out to prevent circumventing of the IPFire DNS.

When I disable that firewall rule I can use 192.168.2.1 as DNS server now. Why would that rule stop me from using IPFire as a DNS server when connected via IPSec?

I had to do this on the incoming firewall and it allows it. I guess anything through IPSec gets put through the firewall?