Ipfire without dhcp server

Hi, I have a windows server (domaion controller) which also works as a dhcp server. How to configure ipfire so that it will only run internet on the server but not as a dhcp server. I have a network: modem - ipfire - server. When I don’t check the dhcp box after installation I don’t connect to ipfire.

You cannot configure this in the IPFire if the dhcp server run on windows.
The dhcp on the windows machine has to configure the clients with the matching settings (ip/netmask and the IPFire as router/default gateway) you should be able to connect via IPFire.

1 Like

And why can’t ipfire work as a router? If ipfire I disable dhcp and it is on the same subnet as the server. And the addresses are issued by the windows server.

IPFire works as router but without the correct setting via the dhcp server the clients doesn’t know the IP.

The needed dhcp option is called is routers or default-gateway.

1 Like

I think that is what Arne is saying. That the windows server needs to configure the clients with the matching settings as IPFire is set up with.

So if IPFire is on the same subnet as the windows server and the windows server issues the default gateway as the IPFire ip then you should be able to connect to IPFire via the wui using that ip address.

1 Like

Configuration is easier and much less error-prone if the DHCP server resides on the router.
Otherwise you have to check the Windows DHCP server config manually.