Ipfire multi wan

hello wen ipfire project have to wan interface for load balancing

thanks

There is no need to write in broken English, as there are many good and free to use automatic translators. It took me a couple of minutes to understand what you were asking.

Now to your question on when IPFire will support a second network interface in the red zone for load balancing. This feature is not planned for now in the 2.X branch. I am not sure about the 3.X branch, but certainly it is not going to happen any time soon.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that with two upstream providers, you can establish a load-balancing and redundant setup by deploying two distinct IPFire machines, assigning one to each interface. You can then implement Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) utilizing the keepalived package for enhanced reliability and distribution of network traffic.

Even with only one network interface, you can use Keepalived to set up a backup router scenario where the backup router becomes active if the primary router fails. This is achieved through the use of VRRP, which Keepalived implements. VRRP allows multiple routers to share a virtual IP address and a MAC address, which are assigned to the active router. The active router is usually determined by priority configurations, with the highest priority router assuming the role of the master router. If the master router becomes non-functional, the backup router with the next highest priority automatically takes over as the master, assuming control of the virtual IP address and thus maintaining network continuity.

This setup is particularly useful for ensuring high availability of network services, as it minimizes downtime in the event of hardware failure, maintenance, or other issues affecting the primary router. Keepalived’s health-checking features can also be used to monitor the status of the primary router and services, ensuring that the failover to the backup router happens automatically and seamlessly when needed.

3 Likes