Ipfire lose static routes after reboot

Hello,

I’m using 8x IPFires (Version 2.25 (i586) - Core Update 14) to connect different locations / subnets with OpenVPN. For this I configuried different static routes on every IPFire. These static routes normaly working fine and all devices could communicate across all subnets.

Unfortuanelty I recognized a sporadic problem. After a cold start or reboot of the IPfire, the static routes doesnt work. I see all my static routes in the web-frontend, but they dont work. It seeams that all my routes are disabled, but the checkbox is still activated. In this case my workaround is to deactivate and active one existing static route. After this action all static routes are working again.

Do anybody know this issue or a reason for this problem?

Greetz tlionheart

Hi,

first, welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

Seems like there is a digest missing here. Could you please post the actual Core Update version number?

(Either way, Core Update 14x is outdated, as we are on Core Update 151 by now. Please upgrade your machines as soon as possible.)

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi Peter,

my mistake. I use Core Version 2.25 (i586) - Core Update 141.

Best regards,
tlionheart

This seems to be the same issue many years and cores before. :slight_smile:

https://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?t=5622

I have updated my IPfire to Core Update 151. Unfortunately my issue isnt solved. After a reboot my 9x static routes dont work. Like so far I do have to deactivate and activate one static route as workaround after every restart. :frowning:

Best regards,
tlionheart

This is a very strange problem! :weary:

My IPFire runs on a barebone PC. Yesterday I made a clean new Ipfire installation with Core 151 on one of my barebones. After the setup was finished, I configured one static route and one firewall rule. After a reboot the static route doenst work, but the firewall rule is still working.

Second I have made a new IPFire installation with Core 151 (same ISO) on a Hyper-V VM. As on my barbone I configured a static route and a firewall rule. After reboot both are working.

So I’m a little confused. It seems that this behavior isn’t a general IPFire bug. It depends on the hardware or mabybe on a system configuration (UEFI, BIOS…).

Can anybody please help me or can give me any hint?

Best regards,
TLionheart

After further analyses I found the reason for this issue. I’m not sure if this issue is caused by design or by a possibly IPFire bug.

On my barebone the RED interface connected via WLAN to the internet. During boot the RED interface gets no ip address. The WLAN connection will be established after the boot sequence and obtain a ip address. In this case the static routes doesnt work. If I change one static route after the RED inteface got a ip, all static routes are working.

Same issue in my Hyper-V VM, when the RED interface / virtual NIC isnt connected to the LAN during reboot and gets no ip.

Perhaps this will be a problem because of the missing ip on the RED inteface, but in my opinion this seems to be a IPfire Bug.

Kind regards,
tlionheart

Hi,

sorry for replying late on this.

Could you please open up a bug at https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/ for this so we do not lose track of it another time? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi Peter,

I have already opend bug 12529. Thanks for support.

Kind regards,
tlionheart

1 Like

Hi,

I see, thanks for this. Unfortunately, I have little spare time at the moment, but will try to take care of this.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller