IPFire install without dhcp

Hello,

is it also possible to install IPFire without a DHCP server? so that I can put the IP configuration in myself when installing from the IPFire iso.

Hi,

welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

Yes, you neither need IPFire’s RED IP address to be dynamically set by DHCP nor an active DHCP server on GREEN and BLUE.

Please have a look at the installation documentation for further information (no offense intended, I frequently recommend reading the documentation first, especially when it comes to setting up a security-relevant system :wink: ).

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂĽller

Hello,

Thanks for your fast reply! :slight_smile:

I was looking at the documentation, it says that you can use a static ip address, as you said in your message above.

However, when installing ipfire i can’t seem to find any option to select a static ip configuration, it forces me to use dhcp and shows no other option.

Looking forward to your reply!

Hi,

just to make sure we are both talking about the same DHCP part: Are you referring to DHCP for IPFire’s RED interface or IPFire serving as a DHCP server for GREEN or BLUE?

In addition, do you happen to have some screenshots of the GUI/dialog where you expect to set up a static IP address and post them here?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂĽller

Hello,

I think that we are talking about the RED interface here.

Here some screenshots:

This is the only option that the installer gives me, I am sorry if it’s an Obvious question to ask but i am new to this software :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your reply!

Not sure if your talking about your Green or Red Zone?

If you got this “trying to start networking (DHCP)” the installer try to redownload the installation files. This download dialog should only displayed in network boot mode or if the installation media is corrupted or not correct mounted. (Source files not found).

1 Like

I had the same problem too.
Re-burned ISO to a different CD-RW and all worked OK.