IPFire deactivate/activate all time the RED port


Today, telecom has installed a new router, before was a router with 10MBit, now, the new can 1000MBit.
But with this new router, the IPFire disconnect/connect all time the RED line from the router.
The LED’s from TCP/IP port goes off and on. To verify this mistake I have take a switch between this 2 devices, the router itself do not disconnect the cable.
I think, if the Up-Stream has too much data, the IPFire disconect the line. I have no speed limitations configurated.

Please help me, what I can do to solve this problem?
I have take no changes in the last weeks, with the old router it works nice.
After I see this mistake, I have take the update to the newest version, without a effect.

Thank you very much for help.

Regards M.Müller


first, welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

What hardware are you using? Please post the link to your Fireinfo profile here (see here for information on it and how to do so).

Also, are there any log messages in the “kernel” section that look related or suspicious?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Thank you very much for replay.


IPFire-Version IPFire 2.27 (x86_64) - core162
Pakfire-Version 2.27-x86_64
Kernelversion `Linux M114.mmnet 5.15.6-ipfire #1 SMP Sun

Dec 19 10:54:26 GMT 2021 x86_64 Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570T CPU @
2.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux`|

I have generate 3 Logfiles.
21.12. and before, no logs, all was empty.
22.12. Start change to a new Router at 12 a clock. After this time I have sometimes reboot, but help not.
23.12. the log is very small, I try no reboot, but today, I was not at home.
Here the 3 logs: http://www.mmvisual.de/IpFire.zip
(as new user I’m blocked for upload files)

If you need more informations, I can sent to you. Thank you very much.

Best Regards M.Müller

PS: Wenn du magst können wir gerne auf deutsch schreiben…

Hi all.

I am wondering if this has something to do with martian source.
In the 21C22 log.dat file, you can see many entries related to martian source.

Below is a thread with a similar problem.

Thank you for help.
Today I have no “martian source” errors in the log, logs like this:
08:38:43 kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 red0: Detected Hardware Unit Hang:
: :
08:38:45 kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 red0: Reset adapter unexpectedly

I have change the “RED” adapter to a other free network port and check again the log’s tomorrow.
If it is also not good, then I change the network cable.

If this changes do not fix my problem, then I know, that the hardware is OK, then we can look in the software again.

Thank you very much for help, Best regards M.Müller

I have change the RED port to a other physical network port, now it works good, no errors.