IPFire - Banana Pi R2 Pro

Hi everyone!

I bought a Banana Pi R2 Pro. I want that IPFire run at the
Router. In the Hardware-List on your Website the router is
not available. How can i use the IPFire?

Thanks in advance

According to BananaPi R2 support for that board is not planned. Porting an OS to ARM hardware is complicated.

You would need to get different hardware. A low-wattage x86_64 mainboard or mini-PC should run IPFire.

If you want to test IPFire, before another purchase, then almost any x86_64 PC, with at least 3 GB of hard drive should work.

5 Likes

same probleme here ,
i have orange pi 5 (16gb)
and iso dont boot ,and i dont see install command
for install on ubuntu (custom for orange 5 )…

why we cant install it over a commande line ?
thx

Orangepi 5 is not general purpose hardware and requires a customised operating system. The IPFire project does not indicate any plans to customise for that board. orange pi.

You need to use different hardware for IPFire and an x86_64 PC would be the most reliable choice. If you are not confident in chosing commodity PC then an IPFire mini appliance is certain to work.mini-appliance

1 Like

thx for the non answers about install with a command line …

i stoped using ipfire because unstable with raspberry pi 4 8g …
just want a try with orange 5 …

The problems with the ARM platform, have not been known about since today.

Regards

2 Likes

The arm architecture has a very limited support in IPFire, as shown in the list of supported hardware linked by @rodneyp.

About your question, it is not a matter of console installation. Installing IPFIre requires drivers in the kernel, a boot-loader patched correctly and other work that the developer have decided it was not worth their very limited time, compared to the installation base of IPFire (at this moment in time, 1.47% are arm users).

You can read a recent blogpost from one of the leading developers explaining the issue.

3 Likes

To my knowledge, IPFire cannot be installed from command line. Its installer is a compiled program that includes many pre-configured routines, often probing hardware to determine the most suitable parameters.

Raspberry Pi 4 has had several changes of chip during its production and that might continue, because of the board remaining in production until 2026, despite supply-chain issues. IPFire can’t work with the newer production boards until it is revised, which is why I suggest avoiding ARM SBC altogether. Those aarch64 boards that have UEFI and might run IPFire “out of the box” are more expensive than an economy x86_64 PC.