Ipfire as Traffic shaper between Red and Orange Network

Hi@all,
I need to do some traffic limitation/shaping to keep an old server machine online. This dinosaur is a early IBM AS400e.

Currently it is just sitting behind a fritzbox which provides port forwarding and is accessable from outside via DDNS.
The IPfire should run on a nanopi r1.
Fritz side will be red network, server side will be orange/DMZ.

Unfortunately there is some software running on that machine using a static (Lan-) IP. To make it difficult, it is hardcoded. And therefore I am forced to keep the IP’s

Lets say
Fritz is at 192.168.199.1
IPfire will get 192.168.199.112
AS400e has its 192.168.199.199
Orange network: ??

Will it be possible to put the IpFire (with dedicated port forwading) direct into that Lan connection and keeping all the former assigned ip adresses?

Well, I am sorry I have not done any testing on that, as the AS400e can be a real bitch if connected to an unspecified network.

Thanks in advance
Cu
MrMoo

If you server needs 192.168.199.199
Make your Orange Network 192.168.199.0/24
Fritz box 192.168.1.1
Ipfire 192.168.1.112
Port forward from Ipfires red network to Orange server.
Be Aware Their is no DHCP on Orange or DNS
so assign a DNS sever to your server. Like 1.1.1.1

1 Like

Thanks.
I already thought about such a solution. But as the fritzbox serves a pharmacy as well as my lab and the flat, I try to avoid changing its IP-Range as there are already serveral subnets.

I still hope (but do not belive) to keep all the ip’s as described. (And just setting orange to 192.168.199.1/24)

Red and Orange can’t have the same IP range.
You could have Fritz box forward to Ipfire and
And use a static route to the server in the red zone.
Fritz box thinks server is on Ipfire and Ipfire redirects it back to red where server is.
I think that would be a static route.
Every one on the Fritz box would have to use Ipfire as the gateway to server.
Devices on the Fritz box would go strait to server.

1 Like