Internal Server Error while updating to IPFire 2.25 Core Update 149 (on i586 platform)

While running remotely (via OpenVPN) pakfire update from CU148 to 149, I soon got this in the Web GUI:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I did not experience this behavior on any CU before, so I am a bit suprised. Will report how this goes on (ssh login, reboot, …)

Status Update: Web GUI still presents login, but after successful login runs into this Internal Server Error. ssh-port seems to be open (telnet ok) but denies login. OpenVPN is still up and running, but I do not have any idea how to proceed…!

Status Update 2: I have the strong fear that this core update went bad, because my device is a i586 one and the “Deprecating i586”-feature is not well implemented!

Status Update 3: OpenVPN connection vanished, too. On reconnect it continously does a connection reset. So I fear some important libs are broken or similiar. Will post update after I get physical contact to the device…

Status Update 4: No progress in this issue, can anybody of the developers please comment how to proceed? Firewalling itself seems to run ok. So I fear that I will get an unbootable device after power cycling…

1 Like

Hi,

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

could you please provide corresponding log entries in /var/log/httpd/error_log, so we can see what exactly is going wrong here?

Status Update 2: I have the strong fear that this core update went bad, because my device is a i586 one and the “Deprecating i586”-feature is not well implemented!

I doubt it, we won’t render i586 systems unusable just because the Linux kernel development for this architecture is not as active as we wish it should be.

Status Update 4: No progress in this issue, can anybody of the developers please comment how to proceed? Firewalling itself seems to run ok. So I fear that I will get an unbootable device after power cycling…

This is a support forum on a best-effort basis, nobody can guarantee any response time here (in case you need it: Lightning Wire Labs offers professional support for IPFire - disclaimer: I have no business/professional relationship with that company, so no covered advertisement here. :wink: ).

Based on your description, I would be surprised to hear your system does not come up after a reboot. Have you rebooted it after installing Core Update 149?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂĽller

1 Like

The device is located remote, ssh and WebGUI are gone and it has a serial interface only, which is not connected yet, so I am not able to login anymore. Will try to connect serial console in the next days to see any kind of message.

Nope, no reboot until now. And I see at least two other incidences here in the forum related to Core Update 149 with an error in grub while trying to boot. So I will still wait and see, but also prepare for a new installation of IPFire on the site.

Peter, thank you a lot for looking into this issue and commenting. I like IPFire very much and its the first time that I experience this kind of trouble.

The system will not be rebootable! See https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12488

2 Likes

Hi,

The system will not be rebootable!

thanks for the clarification. This should not happen indeed. :expressionless:

@dark0ipfire: Sorry if I was raising your hope towards a less severe bug.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂĽller

1 Like

Had a similar error on one of my AMD64 firewalls. No web login prompt after power cycle.
Rebooted with keyboard/monitor & some directories/files missiing.
Didn’t note which ones unfortunately before fresh install of 149 and restore of recent backup.

1 Like

If it is a i686 machine, this should not be the same error.

1 Like

In case of https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12488 32 bit (i586) should die, just my 2 Cents.

2 Likes