Install problem with SDHC Card - core 160.img

Why I cannot install a ipfire-2.27.2gb-ext4.x86_64-full-core160.img on a sdhc card?
With USB Stick is the installation not a problem…

x86/mm: Checked W+X mappings: passed, no W+X pages found.
Run /init as init process
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0438, idProduct=7900, bcdDevice= 0.18
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 998.127 MHz
clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x1cc65b93289, max_idle_s
clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
dracut: dracut-038
random: systemd-udevd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
udevd[268]: starting eudev-3.2.6
sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
sdhci-pci 0000:00:14.7: SDHCI controller found [1022:7813] (rev 1)
mmc0: SDHCI controller on PCI [0000:00:14.7] using ADMA 64-bit
mmc0: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDHC card at address aaaa
mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SL32G 29.7 GiB (ro)
 mmcblk0: p1 p2 p3
random: fast init done
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)
dracut: Checking ext4: /dev/disk/by-uuid/de83b366-c6cb-431f-a06e-353b9170e543
dracut: issuing e2fsck -a  /dev/disk/by-uuid/de83b366-c6cb-431f-a06e-353b9170e53
e2fsck: Read-onldracut Warning: e2fsck returned with 8
y file system while trying to opdracut Warning: Disk write-protected; use the -y
en /dev/disk/by-dracut Warning: check of the device.
uuid/de83b366-c6dracut Warning: *** An error occurred during the file system ch.
cb-431f-a06e-353dracut Warning: *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will try
b9170e543
dracudracut Warning: *** to mount the filesystem(s), when you leave the shell.
t Warning: e2fscdracut Warning: filesystem)
k returned with 8
dracut Warning: Disk write-protected; use the -n option to do a read-only
dracut Warning: check of the device.
dracut Warning: *** An error occurred during the file system check.
dracut Warning: *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will try
dracut Warning: *** to mount the filesystem(s), when you leave the shell.
dracut Warning: filesystem)

dracut Warning: Disk write-protected ?
The sdhc is not write-protected. What is the problem?
Thanks for your help,

I think when the initial ram disk (dracut) tried to mount the block device (your card) it checked the file system (ext4) with e2fsck, at this step e2fsck returned an exit code 8 (operational error), the boot process got interrupted and dropped to a shell, with the disk mounted in read mode only (to prevent data loss). In alternative, the firmware of the card is preventing the card to be written.

The file system is damaged, possibly because your sdhc card is damaged.

Solid state memory has a fixed number of writing operation. SD cards and SSD disks are both solid state memory system, however the number of writings and the spreading of the writing cycles by the firmware is very different from the two categories. in theory 1 GB of nand memory should sustain several TB of writing cycles, in practice SD cards are not made for frequent IO operations and fail very often (in my experience at least once every six months/one year, depending on the use) when used as the OS disk in machines like the RaspberyPi. In addition, due to the abstraction between the physical sectors and the logic ones (for wear leveling purpose), the OS has no way to know which sector is being written. In this situation an improper shutdown is way more dangerous for data loss on SD cards.

1 Like

Try taking the SDHC card to a Windows PC and run “sdcardformatter”, using the “full format” option. The operation can take about 20 minutes for a 32 GB card

1 Like

The cardreader reports that the writeprotect switch is on. Looks like the card is writeprotected or the cardreader not correkt read the position of the switch.

3 Likes

I recently had this problem, even though the switch was not in “lock” postion. If OP originally wrote the card from Windows, then he first needs to format the card in Windows, before again extracting IPFire to it. It should default to FAT32, for a 32 GB card.

1 Like

did you remove all partitions from the card?

Thanks to all for your help.

• The sdhc was not in “lock” modus.
  • The sdhc “Scandisk - 32GB” is fully formatted and tested under Windows and Linux
  • No bad cluster detected
  • img written with dd (Linux) and physdiskwrite, imageUSB (Windows) - same effect

I think the “Scandisk” sdhc card is not compatible with cardreader from apu4d4.
With USB is the installation not a problem. I have order a cheap msata (better for the future) and hope everything will be fine…

Are perhaps known problems with the installation of “ipfire-2.27.x86_64-full-core160.iso” to apu4d4 / msata?

No - it was a 1 GB card, that had previously been used to update BIOS on a mainboard. But the package containing the BIOS had formatted the card FAT 16 - which was plenty of space for a BIOS upgrade. Looks like Windows was objecting to a 1 GB device formated FAT 16.

I had this also one laptop. There the switch in the cardreader has not correct detected the position of the lock switch. (Every card is alsways write protected.) Here a bit contact cleaner insinde the slot has helped. Sometime also the pin that detect the switch is bend.

1 Like