Install IPFire on a USB stick

I have been running IPFire for many years on a old DELL Optiplex 745 with a core2duo.
It is using about 85-90 watts of energy. So it is a bit expensive to run.
So i have an old motherboard from a laptop that i will use.
It is an upgrade as well it use less energy.
But i dont have an SSD for it yet. The motherboard have no USB3 ports.
I have an 8GB USB stick that i thinking on to use untill i get an SSD.
How slow will it be if i install it on a USB stick. Is it something that will effect the speed of my connection such lower speeds or higher ping?
Or is it just when i do changes and configs on the router that will be slow?

For the second network card i removed the WI-FI card and bought a mini PCI-E ethernet card (1gbit/s). And i will make my own case for it that i can mount in a rack.
There are empty cases i can screw in to a rack that i can buy.

I run for testing purpose IPFire on PCEngines machine using a 2.5 inches hard drives connected to the usb3.0 port with a SATA-USB adapter and I did not see any problem in term of speed and performance. I would not use the proxy though, unless you specify to only use the ram, otherwise your usb stick will die earlier. I never tried to use a USB 2 though.

In general, consider the firewall as you lock. Would you use a 50 euros lock to protect you 10,000 bike?

1 Like

The USB stick is just a temporary solution until i can get my hands on an SSD.
I dont know if i want to buy a brand new SSD or if i should go with a used SSD.
The pros with a new SSD is good performance and warranty for 3 years minimum (stated by Swedish law).
The Pros with a used SSD is that they are cheaper and i can choose a small size (like 32gb - 64gb). Even the SSD:s from a good manufacturer like samsung and intel could be cheap.
The cons are: no warranty and i dont know about its health. If i can find one very cheap maybee it could be worth it. If i find one SSD from a good manufacturer like samsung or intel, is it worth 10usd for a 32-64gb size?

I dont really need the performance from an SSD at all.
But i choose an SSD over a HDD cause it use mutch less power.

The specs of the system is:
CPU: Intel i3 2310M @ 2.1 GHz (2 core, 4 threads)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (2x2GB)
LAN (Green): Built in Ethernet (Realtek)
WAN (Red): Realtek RTL8111H Mini PCIe to Gigabit Ethernet

I bought the extra network card on ebay to install in the port where the WI-FI card was installed in. There are 2 variants of the ethernet card.
One with a singel ethernet port and one with dual ethernet ports.
I was first going to take the dual port but i saw that the card was longer then the WI-FI card . And that wont fit on the motherboard. But the singel port was the same size as the WI-FI card.
So it arrived on thursday (June 3:rd).
Link to the network card: New Mini PCIe to Dual Port Gigabit Network Card RTL8111H 1000Mbps RJ45 Lan Card | eBay

If the computer works good with IPFire in it i need a case for it. There are cheap cases that i can mount in a rack. I have a 24 port switch that i can mount in a rack as well (HP Procurve 1810-24G, fanless 24 port layer 2 managed gbit switch) that i got cheap on a Swedish auction site. It is old and not the fastest. But it has lifetime warranty and i dont need more then 1gbit/s speeds on my network anyway.

Certainly people use uSD cards, long-term, with ARM based IPFire. If you are going to install on USB stick then unpack the x86_64.xz image to it, rather than installing from x86_64.ISO.

The price of new 256 GB SSD has plummeted in recent months. You could well find that it is more economical to go straight to one of those.

1 Like

You can also use the ISO to Install on an USB Stick. Choose “ext4 without journal” and disable the swap partition in /etc/fstab to prevent dead writing of a media without wear leveling.
But keep in mind that a rootfilesystem without journal may be corrupted if the system was not always shoutdown properly.

3 Likes