Inquiry Regarding the Inclusion of WireGuard VPN in IPFire

Dear IPFire Development Team,

My name is Diego Villamil, and I am serving as a Network Architect at INGECONT. First and foremost, I wish to extend my gratitude for your relentless effort and dedication in developing IPFire, an outstanding firewall and network management solution.

I have been actively exploring various VPN options to enhance security and data transmission efficiency within our network. In this pursuit, WireGuard has caught my attention. It stands out for its simplicity, efficiency, and robust security features.

I understand that integrating new functionalities into a complex system like IPFire requires thorough consideration. However, I am keen to know whether there are any plans to include WireGuard as a VPN option in IPFire. I believe that WireGuard’s incorporation would significantly benefit the IPFire community by offering a VPN alternative that is not only user-friendly but also high-performing.

I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide regarding this matter. Additionally, if it is within your plans, an estimated timeline for when we might expect this feature would be highly valuable.

Thank you in advance for your time and response. I remain committed to using IPFire and look forward to the new improvements and features that will be added in the future.

Sincerely,

Diego Villamil
Network Architect, INGECONT

2 Likes

Hallo @ingecont

Welcome to the IPFire community.

Wireguard will be in IPFire-3

It will not be put into IPFire-2 due to the amount of development work that would be needed which would divert resources from IPFire-3.

5 Likes

Subject: Appreciation and Excitement for the Inclusion of WireGuard in IPFire-3

Dear IPFire Development Team,

I would like to express my deepest thanks for your prompt and detailed response to my previous inquiry regarding the integration of WireGuard into IPFire. It’s heartening to see a team so committed to its community and responsive to user queries.

I am thrilled to hear the news that WireGuard will be included in the IPFire-3 project. This addition undoubtedly represents a significant step forward in terms of security and efficiency for the IPFire user community. WireGuard not only offers a modern and efficient VPN solution, but it also reflects IPFire’s ongoing commitment to innovation and adapting to new technologies.

As a Network Architect at INGECONT, I am particularly interested in the improvements this integration will bring to our network operations. I am confident that WireGuard in IPFire-3 will significantly enhance our networking capabilities and provide a safer and more efficient experience for our users.

Once again, I appreciate your dedication and efforts in maintaining and enhancing IPFire. I eagerly look forward to experiencing the benefits that WireGuard will bring to the IPFire-3 project and will continue to support and recommend IPFire as a top-tier network management and firewall solution.

Sincerely,

Diego Villamil
Network Architect, INGECONT

1 Like

Unfortunately an ETA or better… an EYA (estimated year of arrival) is not disclosed yet for IPFire 3.

1 Like

Hi !

Does anyone build maybe wireguard for Ipfire 2.x ?

Unobtanium?

Hi Adolf,

it’s great to hear that Wireguard will be supported. If you need somebody to test this feature feel free to contact me. I’m running several Wireguard tunnels because of the much better throughput and less CPU load than OpenVPN and can do several test if needed.

Sincerely,

Jens

Even if someone build a package, it must be integrated in the firewall. If i start the OpenVPN Server or the IPSec VPN Server or the tor node all iptables were set automatically and all settings will be set correctly no matter how I mess around and reload the iptables. Then it should have an easy-to-configure interface that also needs to be connected. So just install it? That would certainly work. For experts maybe.
I can also immediately think of new ideas in combination with my android and ipfire with WireGuard :smiley:

1 Like

Would anyone be able to help funding this for IPFire 2?

3 Likes

Personally, I created my own WireGuard VM based on OpenBSD and have IPFire port-forward port 51820 (UDP only) to the VM with some rate-limiting. I like the addition of PSK in creating an (almost) quantum-resistant tunnel.

The pf rules are a bit fiddly, but it works as intended to have a road-warrier setup for my connected remote devices.

For those who are interested in something simpler, wg-easy has a fairly simple implementation using Docker as the container.

Name your price :rofl: