How to replace home router with IPFire

I have a Netgear router with a few mini PCs connected to the ethernet ports and multiple other clients connected via WiFi.

All devices use 192.168.1.x and there’s a single DHCP server running on the Netgear.

All devices regardless if connected via the ethernet ports or via WiFi can see/communicate with each other. For example, I run a VNC client on my notebook (connected via WiFi) to control the Mini PCs (connected via ethernet ports).

The main reason I want to switch to IPFire is because of the additional filtering capabilities, mainly I want to block YouTube as a whole and then allow individual videos after vetting them personally.

If someone can help me accomplish this “step by step” I will donate $20 to IPFire and donate $20 to the person.

Thank you!

Hi,

The main reason I want to switch to IPFire is because of the additional filtering capabilities, mainly I want to block YouTube as a whole and then allow individual videos after vetting them personally.

To keep it simple: This is not possible. You can block YouTube as such and allow it for certain IP addresses or authenticated clients - please refer to the corresponding documentation for further information -, but restricting access to single videos is not possible.

This is because YouTube enforces HTTPS, which means the IPFire proxy canno see anything “behind the slash”, thus being unable to tell which video a client is currently watching.

You might have more luck by enforcing SafeSearch through DNS settings, but will depend on YouTubes choices and definition of adult content.

If someone can help me accomplish this “step by step” I will donate $20 to IPFire and donate $20 to the person.

It would be more sustainable to the IPFire project if you set up a recurring donation (e. g. one a month). It is better if several people are donating less money, but the project can rely on that amount, rather than larger amounts coming in once a year (or even more rarely).

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Good afternoon @dikaios

Firstly, in order to help you, it is to determine what type of connection you have, bone, fiber, adsl, etc …

If you have fiber, you will have to maintain the ONT and make dialing from the RED interface with the operator’s dialing data. It is very simple, for this, you must access the IPFire via SSH and write “setup” and configure the RED interface as I have mentioned. For ADSL, the same without ONT. Maybe this will help you:

https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/system/dial

About donating, anything that can be donated to IPFire is welcome. Members of the forum do not help for money (at least me and I imagine the rest). So you better give $ 40 to IPFire. Forum members are pleased to help. That is enough for us.

Regards

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

So I can’t simply block youtube.com/* and youtu.be/* and then approve a specific URL like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uj733zwku8 manually that would “bypass” the aforementioned block?

I don’t mind having to log in to IPFire every time I need to approve a specific URL.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I have a standard fiber connection that gets its IP via DHCP as long as the mac address is the one that the ISP wants to see so I just need to spoof it from the original router they provided.

I have managed to connect the router to the ISP, but what I can’t do is have a single DHCP local server for both the WiFi and the ethernet ports.

I just want IPFire to act like my regular router + the extra bells and whistles.

It needs to act as a access point whereas the WiFi connections and the ethernet ports are on the same zone and served by a single DHCP server.

Makes sense?

I’d be happy to donate if I can get it to work. I’ve tried a couple of times but I cannot seem to make the WiFi+Ethernet ports into one single thing.

The WiFi is not for the router to connect to the internet, but rather for the router to provide internet to my devices via WiFi.

I connect to my ISP via ethernet port to their fiber modem.

Hi,

this is true - you cannot do this.

Peter Müller

1 Like

you may block youtube domains at all and view videos via https://invidio.us/
or if you want to get rid of ads in youtube just add a dot in your address

e.g.
youtube.com./watch?v=something

Mind the dot behind the .com domain!

Hi @teejay,

if I got @dikaios right, he wanted to block access to YouTube contents rather than blocking trackers or advertisement on it. Needless to say, this would imply blocking alternative YouTube frontends as well, but since it is not possible any way, it does not matter in the end. :slight_smile:

Peter Müller

1 Like

Yes, I’m not referring to ads.

I want to block ALL of YouTube BUT want to be able to ALLOW individual URLs on a case by case basis.

I don’t mind having to add a new rule to allow a specific URL every single time I want to ALLOW.

Unfortunately, IMHO, there’s too much crap within arms reach on YouTube.