How to add an additional network and route on LAN device?

I use 192.168.27.0/24 as my normal LAN network. How can I configure a second network 169.254.2.0/30 on the LAN/green ethernet device in ipfire and setup a route, so that all my devices in 192.168.27.x can access a device with IP 169.254.2.1 ?

I use a “Speedport Smart 3” in modem mode to connect to my VDSL provider (Telekom). The Speedport in modem mode configures LAN port 4 for WAN PPPOE dial-in and LAN port 1 with IP 169.254.2.1 to provide a website with modem information (sync bandwidth, …). I want to access this website (169.254.2.1) from my devices in 192.168.27.x .

Since the traffic won’t go trough ipfire it has nothing to do with it at all. Why don’t you give LAN port 1 a static IP of the green network?

1 Like

LAN1 is directly connected to the switch of the green network. The traffic should be routed directly by the switch without going through the routing table of IPFire. However, if I am wrong and you cannot ping 192.254.2.1 because it always goes to 192.168.27.1 first, you can try to add a static route to IPFire by going to the web user interface of IPFire and choosing /Network/Static Routes. Put 192.254.2.1 as host IP and 192.168.27.1 as a gateway.

of course, @xperimental solution would be my preference, if the modem allows you to do that.

2 Likes

@cfusco @xperimental @lexaiden
Are you sure it is good practice to connect LAN1 modem to GREEN IPfire network?

1 Like

definitely I would not do it. This is what @lexaiden wants to do and as usual there is a tradeoff between convenience and security. For me, security is absolutely N1.

5 Likes

No. I would put it in orange but this requires an additional LAN port.

5 Likes

I am new to ipfire and have used fli4l before. With fli4l I had the same wiring running, by adding an additional network (169.254.2.2) to the LAN ethernet device and adding a route.

@xperimental
Unfortunately I cannot change the IP address of the Speedport Smart 3 in modem mode, it is hard coded.

So… there is really no way to configure an additional IP range (169.254.2.x) on the LAN ethernet device?

@cfusco
I tried static route:

• Host IP address / Network: 169.254.2.2/32
  • Gateway: 192.168.27.1
  • Remark: VDSL Modem

…and…

• Host IP address / Network: 169.254.2.0/24
  • Gateway: 192.168.27.1
  • Remark: VDSL Modem

…but it does not work.

Good to know that.

As far as I know: No. But you don’t need to. You can give any client in green a second static IP within 169.254.2.0/24 and it can access your Modem webinterface.

3 Likes

That’s right, that’s what I’m currently doing. But I don’t want to enter this manually on each of my clients. But it’s not like I check the modem every 5 minutes… in that case, it only works on the clients that I have configured for it.

I would stay with the fli4l, but my new hardware (DELL WYSE 5070) support UEFI only and unfortunately the fli4l does not support UEFI. I don’t want to send the hardware back, so I looked around for an alternative router software.

Just a curiosity, what happens if you put in the gateway of the static rule 169.254.2.2?

Never heard of fli4l before. We are closed to kernel version 6 and they run a 3.x and don’t support efi? Wow that’s odd.

IPFire is a firewall software, not a router software, like Alpine Linux.

Get a USB network card and set it up for orange and connect the webserver interface of your modem to it.

2 Likes

I tried the following and nothing works (A few don’t make any sense at all, just tried them.):

@xperimental
If it doesn’t work out-of-the-box, then I’ll live with the static IP on the clients where I need the access to the modem. I will not add another network card for the feature.

@all
Thanks for the responses/help. Unfortunately my feature is not possible, otherwise I would mark someone as a solution.

If you activate all of them at the same time, I do not know they would work even if one of them is good.

The rules individually do not work either. I also tried to add the address manually.

ip addr add 169.254.2.2/24 dev green0

Then I can ping the modem from ipfire, but not from the 192.168.27.x client, it is not routed. I think the firewall blocks the packages? But it’s probably a stupid idea to configure iptables/ip on the command line? What the standard configuration dialogs of ipfire do not support should probably be omitted?