Google Meet Stopped Working After Core Update 152->153

This thread led me to think that my problem with the iracing connections dropping may be something similar. We also had zoom / facebook messenger video problems. I rolled back to 152 and my iracing is now working fine; still need to do the complete video call tests.

I have a few new data points, but unfortunately no progress in getting a more-specific characterization of this issue.

Over the weekend, I reattempted a 152->153 upgrade, but got the same results: I was unable to get audio or video from a Meet call. Iā€™ve tried it with counterparts both on and off my LAN, by switching my phone between LTE and Wi-Fi, but didnā€™t see any difference.

I also tried doing a clean 153 install, and then restoring a backup, but the issue was still present.

If there are any further experiments youā€™d like me to try, please let me know. Iā€™ve been watching the Bugzilla entry, and the UDP fragmentation issue seems like it could be plausible, so I could try to check for that.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t have a spare switch with port mirroring available right now, so I canā€™t sniff the Red port from the outside, but I could temporarily install tcpdump on my IPFire box directly and monitor from the inside. Also, finding a good window for network downtime is difficult right now, so it might take a few days.

How do you do the rollback? fresh install of the 152 or there is another way?

Thanks

Iā€™m not sure this helps, my daughters who use the video call more than I, said point-to-point calls worked; multipoint calls failed video

According to the web you need to do a fresh install to rollback. Take note that configuration backups are different from the add-on backups. I did re-install and restored my backupā€¦(forgot the add-on backup though). Good luck!

Thanks all systems up and running on 152!

1 Like

I was wonderingā€¦ could it be something related to WPA3 that is the new update???

Still no signs of life or ideas from dev team?

1 Like

Investigations still ongoing. See bugzilla entry https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12563

Therefore i keep standing that update to 153 should not be advised. After 35 days maybe the update should be retired until solution is found and correctly applied.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if in version 154 the problem is fixed? I know version 154 is already available for testing

BUMP! Hoping that someone which updated to 154 tries to spin a fast Meetā€¦

I hope one of the people experiencing the problem might test Core 154 and let everyone know for sure. I donā€™t think any of the Core Developers experienced the same problems and that makes this very hard to fix.

2 Likes

I have had similar issues with random zoom video weirdness and inability to share on MS Teams. I didnā€™t notice it at the time but the problems aligned with my upgrade from 152 to 153. I ran a test upgrading from 153 to 154 this afternoon and the problem persisted. I just did a clear install of 152 and am able to share on teams again. I have not had a chance to try zoom.

1 Like

Agreed, I myself havenā€™t faced any problems related to audio/video on Core 153 but this may be because I did a clean install of Core 153 due to the storage device dying on me lol.

Absolutely used no backup on the fresh install because I forgot where I stored my really old backups and Iā€™m like ā€œI sure could use a configuration refresherā€ hahaha.

That said, I did uncheck everything on application-layer gateways AKA p2p protocols section i.e. H.265, Bittorrent, and etc. Not completely sure if that helps but I experience 0 problems with audio/video comms so far. (I may know Computer Networking but my experience with p2p protocols suck lol)

Maybe someone who is experiencing a problem can share a config backup file of their IPFire to help the devs diagnose this problem?

Bingo, I think this is key to this problem. Give the devs that backup of yours!

Wellā€¦ the release 154 is onlineā€¦ If any of you guys give it a tryā€¦ please let us know if it works or not!!

Thanks!!!

@mstriani Being new to the project, would the 154 i install today be different from the version in the testing repo from yesterday? That is how I tried 154 yesterday. I switched to the testing repo in the web interface and then did the install from 153.
@sphericalumbra In parallel I am creating a diff between the backup i took of my 152 before i upgraded to 153 and the 152 i installed yesterday. I also have the 153 and 154 backups. I would like to strip my keys out of them before i do that. Any specific files i should focus on reporting?

Sad to say, today I upgraded from 152->154 and the issue is still thereā€¦ I did a fresh install with the iso of 154 and still the issueā€¦ (even without the restore)
Who can help to troubleshoot this?? Iā€™m willing to help in any way that I can, but not an expert!!!
My config is 1 GREEN 1 RED (DHCP) 1 BLUE 2 ORANGE (Bridged 2 interfaces into one zone)

Any news?? Someone who had the issue?? How to resolve it??? Please Iā€™m in 152 waiting for full reinstall!!

Maybe this has something to do withā€¦

1 Like