Firewall without Routing

Hi there,

Is there any option to use IPFire as a Firewall only without network Routing?

Thank you for your answer!

Kind regards,
beic

1 Like

Hello,

No, that isn’t possible at all with any firewall. They all route.

1 Like

I’m brand new to IPFire … but transparent (layer 2) firewalls are absolutely a thing.

See for example:

Or: in any Linux distro you can use ebtables to configure some basic filtering rules.

Yes they are. Although I would not really call this a firewall. Most people think of a layer 3 packet filter when they hear the word firewall.

IPFire does not support that. It is not a good idea to run this. I am sure i have explained this in detail somewhere before if you are interested.

Really sad story and news for me then, after more than 10 years of using IPCop / IPFire, for mentioned reason I went now for MikroTik and Barracuda combination.

IPFire and IPCop never supported this and there is literally no demand in the project for it.

1 Like

Yes, I know, that’s why I asked it in the first place to be sore, and switched to other mentioned solutions.

No argument … they are rare for a reason and generally would only be appropriate for some special use cases. So OP… what are you trying to do exactly?

User based Web content filtering, etc…

All modern enterprise firewalls have transparent mode nowadays: Fortinet, Palo Alto, Checkpoint, and also PFsense and OPNsense do have it.
It does almost all next generation firewall filtering and needs no IP address changes.
Just perfect for small businesses where you can just pull out a broken firewall as a quick fix.
Absolutely necessary also for inline harmless diagnose in an unknown network.