Error graph for cpu freq

Hi i have new install core 159 and two problems:

• Error in RRD::graph for cpu freq: cpu9A0 is not a vname or a number
  • When booting I get something strange, see below, it may have something to do with it: I activated bridge mode in the green zone

error setting new values: common error

• do you have proper administration rights (super-user)

• is the governor your requested available and modprobed

• trying to set an invalid policy

• trying to set a specifier frequency but userspace goveror is not available for example because of hardware which connot be set to a specific frequency or because the userspace governor isn’t loaded

I found the one about this problem in the wiki: wiki.ipfire.org - Migrating to new hardware. But it doesn’t solve my problem

@einerlei - Welcome to the IPFire Community!

@einerlei - I haven’t seen this error before. Are you running hostapd WiFi?

Can you send a screenshot or pic of where you see this error?

EDIT: or did you install the cpufrequtils addon?

Thank you, what do you mean by ‘hostap-WIFI’.

Here is a picture (snippet) of the screen, but I can try to take a better picture with the next restart, but the screen changes very quickly from this point on.

Yes, I had the addon ‘cpufrequtils’ installed, but just to see if the system graph (CPU frequency) is displayed correctly. Could it be that the boot messages are related to the add-on, if so, it should have disappeared after the restart?

Yes the message is related the the cpufrequtils addon. When it starts the cpufrequtils initscript runs the command

cpufreq-set -c $i -g ondemand

Typically the message you are getting is when the cpu in question has no speedsteps so cpufrequtils can not change anything.
That would suggest that the boot error messages are just telling you that it could not do anything but IPFire continues to successfully finish booting. If you uninstall cpufrequtils and reboot then the error message should be gone.

I suspect that the same problem is with your cpu freq graph because the code that asks the cpu what freq is being run is not getting any recognisable information back.

What cpu do you have in your hardware.

Could you post the results of running the following command from the console

cat /proc/cpuinfo

This will list the information about the cpu being used and will indicate if it has just a single freq or can operate over a range of frequencies.

Thank you very nicely. I will uninstall ‘cpufrequtils’ and see if the boot messages have disappeared. I will briefly report here whether the reports are gone.

Attached is the output of ‘cat / proc / cpuinfo’, here only with the first CPU, believe that all 15 outputs make reading confusing.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 62
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
stepping        : 4
microcode       : 0x42e
cpu MHz         : 1204.371
cache size      : 20480 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 8
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti intel_ppin ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags       : vnmi preemption_timer posted_intr invvpid ept_x_only ept_1gb flexpriority apicv tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest vapic_reg vid ple
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs itlb_multihit
bogomips        : 5186.88
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

What you provided is sufficient. The fourth line down labelled stepping has a value of 4 which means that the frequency can be stepped to 4 different values.

This indicates that the problem with cpufrequtils and probably your graph is not the lack of frequency capability of your cpu but a problem of something recognising your cpu’s data.

You mention you installed Core Update 159. Did you have this system running on an earlier Core Update or is this the first install.

If your first install on this hardware then you could do a backup (and download it), install Core Update 158, restore your backup and see if the graph and cpufrequtils works with that and then upgrade to 159 on the system.

1 Like

First of all, I would like to report that the boot messages are no longer there without the ‘cpufrequtils’ addon (uninstalled). But still unchanged under Status / System is not shown.

My Core 159 is a new installation.

Thanks so far, that means I have to accept that the standard CPU-frequnz graphics won’t work?

Hi All.

I have the same problem on a Xeon E5-2620: fireinfo.ipfire.org - Profile 89d63646546ca1ba4436f2c37925987641936758

When I check the box:

The following appears:

If I don’t mark it, the 6 corresponding cores appear.

Regards.