DNS lookups logging?

Is there a way to log all dns lookups in ipfire? I have safe search enabled, but I was wondering if I could log all lookups so that I have a way of seeing what my kids are obtaining DNS lookups for…

Interesting question but I do not know of one…

EDIT: You may want to try changing the unbound verbosity to 2. That might produce what you want. But it will also create lots of stuff you dont want.
You’ll need to do an unbound-control reload from the terminal/console. Then wait about 30 seconds for the reload to happen.

Keep in mind you’ll be getting a firehose of information and it might/will fill up the logs quickly.

1 Like

If you are really keen you could install tcpdump, collect traffic and then open in Wireshark for filtering and further analysis.

1 Like

@emittim3 transparent proxy works better for content monitoring and filtering.

DNS queries and replies are not logged.

The default value for log-queries and log-replies in the unbound.conf file is no.

If these were set to yes then the unbound.conf man page says

Note that it takes time to print these lines which makes the server (significantly) slower.

If they are saying “significantly” then it probably would end up causing delays when browsing as each DNS query is searched and the details logged.

Also if they were set to yes you might have information stored that would need to be managed under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation Regulations) within Europe or similar elsewhere.
https://gdpr-info.eu/
although that might probably not apply in a home network situation.

There is an include option for additional .conf files but that is only for all unbound clauses except the server: and remote-control: clauses and the log settings are part of the server: clause and you can not have multiple server: clauses with unbound.conf as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

strong agree! I do see this with other verbosity levels.

1 Like