DNS forwarding zone to internal DNS with DNSSEC

Hello Team,

I am currently having the following ipfire installation in my house :

• Ipfire acts as my router and the internal DNS for my internal network
  • Freeipa has been deployed for SSL and DNS management for my custom Lab Network (with the dns zone .local.lab).
  • I set-up Ipfire with the DNS Forwarding zone set to “local.lab” zone to be handle by my freeipa DNS server.
  • Multiple VMs and PCs are using as their primary DNS server the Ipfire DNS server

When accessing Internet : no pb it works out of the box. However, when dealing with my “local.lab” servers, it’s another story, even if DNSSEC is enabled on my Freeipa server, everytime I perform a dns query to my ipfire for this particular zone : it fails with the following error message :

14:16:42	unbound: [13396:0]	info: validation failure <gitea.local.lab. A IN>: no NSEC3 records from AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD for DS lab. while building chain of trust
14:16:42	unbound: [13396:0]	info: validation failure <gitea.local.lab. AAAA IN>: no NSEC3 records from AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD for DS lab. while building chain of trust
14:16:42	unbound: [13396:0]	info: validation failure <lab.local.lab. A IN>: key for validation lab. is mark ed as invalid
14:16:42	unbound: [13396:0]	info: validation failure <lab.local.lab. A IN>: key for validation lab. is mark ed as invalid
14:16:42	unbound: [13396:0]	info: validation failure <gitea.local.lab.local.lab. AAAA IN>: key for validati on lab. is marked as invalid
14:16:42	unbound: [13396:0]	info: validation failure <gitea.local.lab.local.lab. A IN>: key for validation lab. is marked as invalid

In order “to fix this issue” I need to disable DNSSEC on my “local.lab” DNS Forwarding zone. Which to be honest (evenif if it’s a home local network) is not secure.

My knowledge with unbound and DNS are pretty low, but as reading the error message, I understand that Unbound need to “trust” my DNSsec record on my ipfire.

How can I perform this operation ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Hi @nikos

You can’t turn off DNSSEC on IPFire.

https://blog.ipfire.org/post/dns-configuration-recommendations-for-ipfire-users

You can, in the DNS Forwarding zone, there is an option to disable DNSSEC per zone.

But as said, it’s for internal zone only, even for this case, I would like to understand where the culprit is and try to fix it.

Nikos

Ok, I was able to replicate my issue on another lab, and, I was also able to fix this.

For the TL,DR; there is a missing zone in my lab local.lab, the lab part is missing, I need to create this zone and then create a DS record inside this new zone.

Once done, I was able to add my “new” DNS forwarding zone in IPfire with DNSSEC enable.

I will add more info later.

Nikos

1 Like