Display for APU2C4

Hi !

My router is an apu2c4 which has no graphical hardware interface …
I remember in the beginning of it there were things like a serial terminal available
(a display with serial port and a keyboard) i guess this is hard to find… :slight_smile:
How can i realize at least a display at the apu 2c4 ?

Ciao Gerd

You need a serial-usb adapter and a software terminal emulator. One that does not require a driver is this one.

3 Likes

The system console on the APU system is on the serial port ( RS232, V.24, … ).
You access this console with a good old terminal ( VT100 or others ) or with an USB serial adapter and terminal software ( PuTTY for example ).

Configuration of IPFire is mainly done by the WebGUI or SSH.

The serial console is needed for installation or troubleshooting of systems with broken networking only.

3 Likes

Hi !

I know… but i said its standalone somewhere in the heating room where the switch and DSL Line is…
I want only there a display to see what is going on during boot time…

Ciao Gerd

Two possible scenarios:

• you are at place of your IPFire. With a laptop with USB adapter and terminal emulator you can watch the output. Or you buy an used real terminal ( no idea how the prices are ).
  • you want to watch from your working place, not in the installation room. A little computer ( Raspi for example ) with serial connection and terminal software can transport the data via ethernet to your working place.

Hi !

I want to watch it when im in the heating room w/o having a laptop or similar with me…
:slight_smile:

Ciao Gerd

With modern hardware, Raspeberry PI or equivalent cheap computer (even older models) + Null modem cable + USB2Serial adapter + keyboard + monitor.

1 Like