Hey you all,
I want to add a raspberry pi on my home network and create a safe (green) subnet to have my devices separated from the main network and play around the various options IPFire can provide.
My main router operates on 192.168.2.0/24.
I’m using a PI4 Model B and downloaded the IPFire 2.27 - Core Update 167
I used the PI IMAGER to format the SD Card and edited the serial console to OFF.
My network setup:
Red0 is assigned to an ethernet cable linked to my main router:
Green0 is assigned to a wireless network card with USB:
→ Address: 192.168.60.1
→ Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP enabled on Green0 with the following settings:
→ Starting Address: 192.168.60.100
→ Ending Address: 192.168.60.200
→ Primary DNS: 192.168.60.1
Rest are default.
what i tried and what i noticed so far:
1_ Rebooted everything (PC, main router, PI) multiple times in different order with no results.
2_ Console cannot ping main router neither any device on green network.
3_ Both Red0 and Green0 show the (NO-CARRIER) when using the command ip a.
4_ Changed the IP address of my PC manually to a static IP on the same subnet as the PI4 and still
no answer from the WUI.
5_ Tried to connect 2 USB wireless network cards instead of relying on the ethernet cable as Red0
with no success.
6_ Verified that all cables, network adaptors, and the SD card function properly.
7_ Reinstalled the IPFire many times with different versions.
8_ Tried the STATIC option instead of the DHCP on Red0 with the following configuration:
→ IP Address: 192.168.2.254
→ Netmask: 255.255.255.0
→ Gateway: 192.168.2.1
with no success unfortunately.
9_ Reinstalled the IPFire on PI4 and only assigned Green0 as the only network interface on PI4
ignoring the Red0 and tried to access the WUI with no success.
10_ Switched between interfaces having the USB wireless interface act as the Red0 and the ethernet
cable as Green0 to try and reach the WUI from the main subnet with no luck.
11_ Tried using Ethcher to flash the Operating System instead of the PI Imager and went through the
whole process again. no success.
12_ DHCP never actually worked. (No IP addresses were assigned to devices from the specified
At this point i feel like i exhausted all the potential configurations that can be applied on the network configuration page (or on the setup command), i visited a lot of websites, followed the installation guide step by step, read a lot of topics on different forums, and reached the bottom of the least watched videos on YouTube.
I’m pretty sure there is something i missed however, simply because that’s always the case for me haha. and yes i know some of my test were unnecessary, but i tried to cover everything i could think of for the last few days.
Feel free to ask literally anything even the most basic stuff.