Core 180 update virsh qemu passtrough harddisk and truenas

hi community,

i turn to you because since the last update something seems to no longer work here.

Several virtual machines are running on my IPFire which provides me with various services, which has worked smoothly for the last two years.

But now my TrueNAS machine wants my full attention. I have set up a software RAID array in TrueNAS by passing the disks directly to the machine.

This was done via virt-manager, the drives were passed through directly, ‘/dev/sdb’, ‘/dev/sdc’ and ‘/dev/sdd’ are each passed through to the VM’s SATA controller.

<disk type="block" device="disk">
  <driver name="qemu" type="raw" cache="none" io="native"/>
  <source dev="/dev/sdb" index="5"/>
  <backingStore/>
  <target dev="sdb" bus="sata"/>
  <alias name="sata0-0-1"/>
  <address type="drive" controller="0" bus="0" target="0" unit="1"/>
</disk>

the virtual Sata adapter for the VM is set up with the following parameters and also shows the drives assigned to it.

<controller type="sata" index="0">
  <alias name="sata0"/>
  <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x00" slot="0x06" function="0x0"/>
</controller>

The machine boots up but does not show a found drive pool which actually provides the corresponding data.

Maybe someone of you has an idea where I could start now to make the drives available again.

I would exclude a hardware damage because of the SMART values and the improbability that all three drives stop working at the same time.

Crazy why does this happen with the update to Qemu 8.1.1?

I started a live system inside the virtual machine and get the disks including the file system displayed there, just as I would expect.

See post

https://community.ipfire.org/t/curious-behavior-here-on-my-system-since-the-update-to-core-180-qemu/10453/5

1 Like