Compatible USB-wired LAN adapters?

I’m looking at getting a ultra-small form factor PC to use as a straightforward IPFire box - red & green interfaces only. The PC I’m considering has only one wired network interface, and no possibility of adding an expansion card to provide the second interface, so I was looking at buying a USB (2.0) to RJ45 network adapter. I’d rather not buy an adapter only to find it won’t play nicely with IPFire; is there a compatibility list where I could check the suitability of possible candidates, please?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Ian

Welcome to the IPFire Community!

There are network adapters listed in the IPFire Wiki:
IPFire Wiki - Network Adapter Hardware Compatibility List

The USB (2.0) to RJ45 network adapters are listed here:
IPFire Wiki - Network Adapter Hardware Compatibility List - USB LAN-Dongle

Hope this helps!

Your general plan for ultra-small form factor PC is sound.

I’ve tried about 5 USB-Ethernet adapters with IPFire and all work, but it is generally impossible to ascertain that prior to purchase. Some vendors might indicate the critical factor, which is the Ethernet chip used.

If you are planning to connect it to a modem/router having gigabit ports, then a slightly more expensive USB3-Gb adapter is less likely to incur packet loss.

1 Like

Hi @rodneyp
Thank you for the quick reply, and your reassurance about using a USB to wired LAN adapter. So far as I know, my Vodafone modem/router doesn’t support gigabit ethernet, and in any case the USSF PC which I’m thinking of buying doesn’t have USB3.0 ports (it’s a second-hand/refurbished one from Morgan Computers), so I’ll trawl through the USB2-0 - RJ45 adapters.
Best regards
Ian

Hi @jon
Thanks very much for the quick reply, and the helpful links.
Best regards
Ian

Hi @rodneyp

A little more research revealed that the Startech adapter (just over £15 from Amazon) uses the ASIX AX88772 chipset, which the compatibility list at the link from @jon shows is supported, so I’ve ordered one! Thanks both

Ian