Clear Space from /dev/sda3

Hello everyone ,

I have not updated IPFire for like for 2 years and finally decided today to do it.

I updated many core version and now because of loq space on /dev/sda3 i got this error : PAKFIRE ERROR: Returncode: 2. Sorry. Please search our forum to find a solution for this problem.

I have read about it on other topics here but since i am so close to final core vesion
Now on 163 i wanted to know if there are any files from my 2 GB /dev/sda3 that i can delete. I uninstall all pakfire addons and free some space but still not enought.
I browse all folder there but could not find anything else to delete except some logs but that did not clear any space even thou they were like 100 MB.

Is there some trick i can do to clear some space? I cant reinstall IPFIRE i am working remote on it.

Thanks.

I suspect you may still have the partition structure from 2018 or earlier when there used to be a boot partition, a swap partition, a root partition and then the rest assigned to a /var partition for the logs.

In Core Update 122 when the major version was changed from 2.19 to 2.21 that structure was changed so that there was a single root partition that included the /var directory for the logs.

If you run lsblk on your command line what does it show.

Hey Adolf , Thanks for the fast reply.

You are correct the partition structure is the one you are talking about.

[root@ipfire ~]# lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda4 8:4 0 462.7G 0 part /var
├─sda2 8:2 0 1G 0 part [SWAP]
├─sda3 8:3 0 2G 0 part /
└─sda1 8:1 0 64M 0 part /boot
[root@ipfire ~]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 3.9G 4.0K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 3.9G 648K 3.9G 1% /run
/dev/sda3 2.0G 1.8G 69M 97% /
/dev/sda1 59M 47M 8.3M 85% /boot
/dev/sda4 456G 8.0G 425G 2% /var
/var/lock 8.0M 12K 8.0M 1% /var/lock
[root@ipfire ~]#

Is there any way i can clear like 300 MB from /dev/sda1 ?

Thanks again.

I am afraid that I don’t have good news for you.

Your root partition (/dev/sda3) has only 69M space left. The chances are virtually certain that new package updates will exceed that. Unfortunately what is in the root partition is all related to the packages and can not easily be removed. All the logs are stored in the /var partition (/dev/sda4), which is the partition with lots of space.

You additionally have very little space left in your /boot partition (/dev/sda1) and it is clear that 64M is insufficient for updating with the current kernel, etc. You would need 128M otherwise even if the update in the root partition could be made when you went to reboot it would fail.

The only ways to resolve this are

• Do a fresh install and then restore
  • Move space on the /var partition to the /boot and / partitions. However that can only be done when the partitions are not mounted, so cannot be done while IPFire is running.

I am afraid that your simplest option will be to re-install when you are no longer remote from the IPFire location and then do a restore from your last backup.

as you can see your sda1 is only 64M big - how would you free it to 300M ?

btw. sda1 includes your Kernel - sooner or later you will get issues updating your System while it’s actually to small for current Kernel Updates

it is recommended to Backup your config - setup a complete new System & restore your backup’d config

your actually Installation seems very old…

you could use a partition Tool like gparted to resize your Partition and make sda4 smaller & sda3 bigger

BUT BE AWARE THIS COULD BE DANGEROUS WITHOUT ANY BACKUP BEFORE USING THIS TOOL!

That tool can only be used on unmounted partitions and the problem is that the OP is remote from the IPFire site.

that’s correct - he has to diassemble his storage before using this Tool

not realized the Remote Site problem, sorry :frowning:

Thanks guys for all your support. I will wait until i am back in the office and do it then.
Have a great day .