Cannot Fresh install IPfire, "repair filesystem" error on first boot

I think it should be here:
/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt

Peter would know better than I do.

It appears in the photo in Post #5

Right, so its located there on my router. How do I get it onto a USB pen drive to move over to my main PC to upload to this topic?

As in treat me as if I know very little about Linux command line.

Are you able to access the IPFire WebGUI ?

If yes, then enable SSH:

Open the desktop/laptop computer console and enter:

ssh -p 222 root@ipfire.localdomain

Are you able to access ?

1 Like

If you have configured SSH access, you can use WinSCP on a Windows system to copy the file easily.

If the system doesn’t boot, as you described, this isn’t a solution. :frowning:
But this link may help.

2 Likes

That is the next step after we make sure the file exists. I am guessing rdsosreport.txt only appears if there is an issue.

Via SSH (check if the file there?):

[root@ipfire ~] # ls -al /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt

via your laptop/desktop computer (and not via ssh):

scp -rp -P 222 root@ipfire.localdomain:/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt [your desktop folder or downloads folder]
1 Like

I have tried Lan ports 0, 1 and 4 all of them are coming up with a 169 IP address and showing unidentified network.

This is unbelievable the complexity to simply install a router OS onto this system.

I have had PFsense, Opnsense and OpenWRT installed onto this system and none of them brought up any issues but IPfire seems to be a nightmare to get it setup on it.

And for this I am getting "Special device UUID=50CB-4834 does not exist. dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

It is definitely the UUID of the USB drive I have checked it 3 times. I then tried reformatting it from FAT32 to just regular FAT and same error.

I think I am going to give up with IPfire. This is just way too complicated to even install.

Anthony - I had the exact same system Qotom Q190G4N-S08 and it ran fine for a few years. It was easy to setup. But the power supply (or something related) went bad and I replaced it last year. (it lasted four years)

Based on your first post I would guess that something needs repair on the Qotom internal Kingston hard drive. Along those lines you may need to boot from a separate USB device (like an external drive) and then run an fsck type command to repair.

This is above my level and I need to defer to someone else for help.

2 Likes

[edit]
I think that in this situation there is no way to connect through the network, because the system did not start completely.
Take a look at this topic:

@anth
Have you tried to enter “exit” here?

2 Likes

looks like the filesystem on /dev/sda4 is corrupted. Mount reports that it detect more than one filesystem on this disc. Are you really sure that this disk is OK?

1 Like

“looks like the filesystem on /dev/sda4 is corrupted. Mount reports that it detect more than one filesystem on this disc. Are you really sure that this disk is OK?”

Then for some reason, IPfire is not fully wiping the hard drive before installing the OS to it. When I have time I will try running a linux live CD and wiping the drive and then installing IPfire again to see if this fixes it.

1 Like

Looks like the SSD is buggy and ignore the discard function which linux mkfs use to erase an SSD. (this is the recommended way to clean an ssd because every write of the flashcells reduce the lifetime)

4 Likes

Were you using GPT partition table in pfSense ? If so, then it needs to be thoroughly erased, before the MBR partition table in IPFire would be reliable. In Linux, the “gdisk” tool (also sometimes called gptfdisk) can do that via the -z option.

5 Likes

IPfire erase the fist 10MB of a disk so change from gpt to mbr should not a problem.

1 Like

Would a discard operation be required after the erasure and prior to creating an MBR partition table ?

Niormal it is not needed at all. But mkfs.ext4 try it if it detect an ssd. Im not really sure what’s the reason for the problem. Maybee it is also a bios problem that select a wrong CHS/LBA translation. Can you check the bios settings if there is a wrong translation mode (e.g. Large instead of LBA) active?

1 Like

You could try unplug all drives.
Plug in blank USB drive/stick.
Plug in ipfire USB stick with iso.
And install to blank USB.
This will help narrow your problem.
To drive or other hardware failures.

1 Like

@rodneyp
:fire: what a great find :male_detective:
lucky me: my search-fu was strong :pray: rodneyp

@world
take an ‘opnsense-used-efi-gpt’ drive
boot the iso 174
complete the installer
reboot
enjoy the debug shell :space_invader:
without ssh access of course :wink: :joy_cat:

Im not able to reproduce this.
I have tried it on a pc with uEFI and an older with legacy bios. On the ssd was an old windows 10 install in efi gpt mode in both tests.

1 Like

@arne_f
sorry, silly me was not specific enough: it has to be an opnsense used drive :mag_right:

just verified ‘successfully’ with opnsense 22.7 :bomb: did not checked newer versions though :mantelpiece_clock:

perhaps a security measure preventing a change to ipfire :person_shrugging: