Cannot delete aything in rrd directory

Hello,
I have the latest firmware of ipFire, 182. I added a QoS category, which forgot to create the corresponding rrd file. I did a touch on the file name, but this was not a good way to fix this. Now I’m trying to delete that file to copy from another one, but ipFire does not let me delete it. I stopped collectd service, still cannot delete any files in /var/log/rrd directory.
How to delete the files in that directory?

You should be able to delete it.

What command did you enter and what error do you see? A copy & paste, or a screenshot (or a camera pic) would be great!

1 Like

Hello,
If you are logged into a terminal as root then you should be able to delete any file. I suspect there might be unusual permissions on the file you created manually. If the permissions on the file you are trying to delete are not -rw-r–r-- root root (which allow root to read/write) then try chmod 777 on the file to reset the permissions then delete it.

Below is a successful test of create and delete in the folder (v182 with collectd still running):

[root@ipfire1 ~]# touch /var/log/rrd/testfile.txt

[root@ipfire1 ~]# ls -al /var/log/rrd/
total 152
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 4 16:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 12288 Jan 3 14:14 …
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 4 15:56 collectd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 28728 Jan 4 16:00 hddshutdown-sda.rrd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 28728 Jan 4 16:00 hddtemp-sda.rrd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 4 16:00 testfile.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 19 19:40 wio

[root@ipfire1 ~]# rm /var/log/rrd/testfile.txt
rm: remove regular empty file ‘/var/log/rrd/testfile.txt’? y

[root@ipfire1 ~]# ls -al /var/log/rrd/
total 152
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 4 16:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 12288 Jan 3 14:14 …
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 4 15:56 collectd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 28728 Jan 4 16:00 hddshutdown-sda.rrd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 28728 Jan 4 16:00 hddtemp-sda.rrd
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 19 19:40 wio
[root@ipfire1 ~]#

EDIT: made into quote

2 Likes

Yes I am as root and none of the files in that directory can be deleted. There is no error messages. I type “rm file”, it does not matter which file, the prompt comes back like it worked, but an ls shows that the file is still there. I even created a dummy file and now I am unable to delete it.

Usually, if root can’t delete a file then the file attributes have been made either append only or immutable.

What results do you get if you run the command

lsattr /var/log/rrd

You should just see the e attribute. If there are either i or a attributes then the files have been made immutable or append-only.

What is making that happen is another question but lets see first what the file attributes of the files you can’t delete are.

[root@ipfire-vertika rrd]# lsattr
--------------e------- ./class_1-1_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_2-210_imq0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_2-220_imq0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_2-204_imq0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_1-101_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_test
--------------e------- ./class_1-105_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./hddtemp-sda.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_2-200_imq0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_2-1_imq0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_1-120_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_1-104_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_1-110_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./hddshutdown-sda.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_1-103_red0.rrd
--------------e------- ./collectd
--------------e------- ./class_2-203_imq0.rrd
--------------e------- ./class_1-102_red0.rrd

class_1-105_red0.rrd and class_test are the files I would like to delete, but I tried on every files for “fun” and none can be deleted.
So far those three services I tried to stop to no avail : collectd, vnstat and sysklogd.

Ok, I found the culprit, a bad french habit of mine… Instead of pressing “y” to accept the deletion, I was pressing “o” (for oui, yes in french), and of course, the file would not get deleted…

1 Like

Oh well. At least you have solved the problem and can concentrate on the qos configuration again.