Cannot create libvirt storage pool on a disk device

Hello,

I have an unusual need which will be best met by running a VM on my IPFire box. It’s great that IPFire allows this with libvirt/qemu!

Being a bit perfectionist I went to the trouble of making space for a dedicated partition to store the VM. However, it seems that IPFire does not have the necessary “backend” (kernel driver??) to support a pool on a physical disk device!

When creating a new storage pool of type “disk: Physical Disk Device” with Source Path: “/dev/sda6” (my empty partition) I get the error:

Error creating pool: Could not define storage pool: internal error: missing backend for pool type 4 (disk)

Can anyone confirm that this is expected?
If so, why has IPFire not included this module? (I imagine to simplify things and reduce size/support, but it would be very helpful if anyone can confirm)

Thank you!

I have an active vm on my firewall running ldap and some other server processes (flexlm license server, other minor services). I found it easier for a lot of reasons to just use a qemu-img file (qcow2). Unless you are storing a lot of data (active database?), it doesn’t make sense to have a dedicated partition for this.

Hi @dnl

I am not knowledgeable about libvirt at all but from the lfs (IPFire build description) file for libvirt there is the following

cd $(DIR_APP)/build_libvirt && …/configure
–prefix=/usr
–localstatedir=/var
–sysconfdir=/etc
–without-sasl
–without-vbox
–without-lxc
–without-esx
–without-vmware
–without-openvz
–without-firewalld
–without-network
–with-interface
–with-virtualport
–with-macvtap
–without-wireshark-dissector
–disable-nls
–without-test-suite
–without-dbus
–with-qemu-user=nobody
–with-qemu-group=kvm
–with-storage-dir
–with-storage-fs
–with-storage-lvm
–without-storage-iscsi
–without-storage-scsi
–without-storage-mpath
–without-storage-disk
–without-storage-rbd
–without-storage-sheepdog
–without-storage-gluster
–without-storage-zfs

From this you can see that the configure is defined --without-storage-disk

I have to leave it someone else knowledgeable on libvirt if there is any barrier to having this modified to --with-storage-disk

I don’t use libvirt on IPF, but occasionally do on my openSUSE workstation. There, I simply mount the partition holding VM to /var/lib/livirt/images - YMMV with IPF.

There is a case for a separate partition if the main system is on SSD. At the very least, the “nocow” option is desirable for the folder/partition holding VM or the “write-life” of an SSD could be seriously reduced.

Thank you for your responses.

@bonnietwin thank you for confirming the option was specifically removed. That’s helpful to know.

My system uses and SSD and I’m concerned about its lifetime. I also mentioned that I’m a perfectionist and there’s a slight performance improvement in using a separate partition. The VM I’m running has a small but frequently updated database.

Anyway it doesn’t really matter. I’ve just been using the default libvirt directory and there’s no issues.