Cache not caching

sorry if this is a repost, but for some reason my original post isnt showing up for me

Hi,
I hold a LAN at my place every 2 months, and as usual the turkeys never update their games, so i’ve been referred to IPfire.

this is my first time using ipfire, im trying to get it setup to make a caching server for steam / origin / windows etc. this is a fresh install, so nothing has been tampered with tick box wise. 2% of the drive is used for installation

i have bugger all knowledge with networking so please be kind.

Cache management has been ticked,

• All variables have been left at default settings. (apart from the Hard disk cache size, which i set to 50gb"
  • When i Click on “Cache management” it takes me to a user and password. now i left the passwords basic when setting up, Root is root and admin is admin ( this will only be used for updating games, so it’ll be turned on a few days before hand to grab all the updates)
    however, i’ve tried both user root and admin logins and always comes up with incorrect login details ?

update accelerator has been ticked
allocated 75% usage ( it’s a total of 80gb drive for trial purposes) and that’s the only thing ticked in that area

i’ve tried downloading a small game through steam several times, but it just doesnt seem to cache, i click on the statistics & maintainance buttons and keeps saying “Local Cache is empty”
In addition, the kids have been watching youtube and easily watched 30 vids, which once again, still 2% of hdd used

questions:

1. Do i need to tick / untick / adjust anything that enables the cache ?
  2. with the “cache management” does it cache “EVERYTHING” eg, facebook / reddit / youtube /googling / windows updates ?
  3. do i need to add any addons to get stuff like Steam / origin / uplay / blizzard / epic. to get this working ?

let me know if you need any screenshots etc
thanks for your input.

Hi @gooliez,

after correctly activating update accelerator, it must cache updates from :

• Adobe, Apple, Linux, Microsoft (KB), Mozilla, Symantec, … (there may be other publishers)

For other Publishers like games, etc., it seems to me that it is possible but that requires specific development for each.

Eg. on one of my IPfire, the cache totals 130 Gb, most of which are Microsoft updates…

For my experience, when Update accelerator has been working for a few months, this saves me about 80% of downloads of Microsoft updates (which is not negligible with Windows 10).

hmmm hopefully someone on here has managed to do this, and can chime in on this. As i read somewhere that IPfire did it, thus going down this path…