Borgbackup - msgpack dependency

Hello everybody,
I’m quite new with IpFire, and I’m having fun with it !
I have a little problem with borgbackup add-on. During installation everything was fine, but when I try to launch it, I have this message :
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘msgpack-python!=0.5.0,!=0.5.1,!=0.5.2,!=0.5.3,!=0.5.4,!=0.5.5,<=0.5.6,>=0.4.6’ distribution was not found and is required by borgbackup.
I’ve check and msgpack-python dependency has been installed during borgbackup installation.
Do you you know what is happening ?
Thanks a lot!

Hi mtb,
and welcome here. Tested the borgbackup install here and it works. Have deleted then mspack via

pakfire remove python3-msgpack

and get the same message then you

$ borg -h                                                               
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/borg", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3017, in <module>
    @_call_aside
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3003, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3030, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 659, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 967, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 853, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'msgpack-python!=0.5.0,!=0.5.1,!=0.5.2,!=0.5.3,!=0.5.4,!=0.5.5,<=0.5.6,>=0.4.6' distribution was not found and is required by borgbackup

reinstall it then via

pakfire install python3-msgpack

and checked borg again,

$ borg -h                                       
usage: borg [-V] [-h] [--critical] [--error] [--warning] [--info] [--debug]
            [--debug-topic TOPIC] [-p] [--log-json] [--lock-wait SECONDS]
            [--show-version] [--show-rc] [--umask M] [--remote-path PATH]
            [--remote-ratelimit RATE] [--consider-part-files]
            [--debug-profile FILE] [--rsh RSH]
            <command> ...

Borg - Deduplicated Backups

did you tried to uninstall ‘python3-msgpack’ and reinstall it again ?

As an idea.

Best,

Erik

Thanks for your help !
I’ve already tried and it didn’t change anything.
I’m using ipfire version 142, and my default python interpreter is python 3.8 :expressionless:

What is yours ?

There is my error message :

$ borg -h
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/borg”, line 6, in
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3251, in
def _initialize_master_working_set():
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3234, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3263, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 583, in _build_master
ws.require(requires)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 900, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 786, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘msgpack-python!=0.5.0,!=0.5.1,!=0.5.2,!=0.5.3,!=0.5.4,!=0.5.5,<=0.5.6,>=0.4.6’ distribution was not found and is required by borgbackup

You´re right. Did my first test with Core 136 where it works. Did now the same with Core 142 and get the same problem. Am trying currently a new build, have in mind that the Core system switched from Python2 to 3 but am currently not 100% sure, will have a deeper look into it. If i have something new will write it here.

Best,

Erik

OK, it seems that the PAK_VER number of the LFS should have been increased with the Core 141 --> https://blog.ipfire.org/post/ipfire-2-25-core-update-141-release since the Core system has become some changes according Python3.
Did that now but updated also Borgbackup to version 1.1.11 and have send a patch --> https://patchwork.ipfire.org/patch/2929/ but added this also to Bugzilla --> https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12356 .

Not sure if this will be part of Core 143 since it is meanwhile in testing. Have the package here, if you want to test it, i can provide it too.

Best,

Erik

Thank you very much for your work!
I will wait this new version will be added in stable core.
Have a nice day.

Your welcome.

Have also some nice Easter days.

Best,

Erik