Boot IPFire mini applicance from USB drive

I am guessing here… Did you unmount the drive?

Yes. Those appear to be the instrucitons.

Just wanted to make sure!

And another guess… Is this the first time you’ve used the terminal for a command? If so, then try this:

1 Like

That fixed the Terminal problem. Now the USB is “not readable by this computer” and was reformatted with FAT. That too doesn’t read.

did you get this message after you ran the dd command?

If so, then the dd command probably worked.

Note - The completed USB Drive will be unreadable by the Mac!

Since we are working in the terminal, then the Terminal screen is the one that helps the most. And I cannot quite read that screen.

1 Like

Sticking the USB and Mini Appliance & Serial resulted:

That doesn’t look right. And the choices didn’t appear to advance the install procedure.

Is that right?

Sorry to say… it is correct. I saw the same thing recently. I thought it was a quirk.

On the screen with the blue, click on the line that begins with SSeerriiaall

EDIT: reported to Bugzilla
https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12801

2 Likes

Its been two years since I last setup the Mini Appliance and before that a bare bones version. I don’t remember the file system and used ext4. Everything else appeared ok. Green>nic34/Red>nic35 then identified nics: red=36/green=37. But the reboot produced the same errors.

ext4 is perfect!

How did you set up the RED network?

interface_red_dhcp

You can go back by entering the setup command.
https://wiki.ipfire.org/installation/step5#setting-red-interface-address

You MAY have an issue with green (maybe a wrong screenshot was sent?)?

1fad2fac6bde94a2550647dde13f727dd59d5b9e_2_642x500

If green works OK and you can talk to the IPFire device then forget I brought this up!

2 Likes

Red network is DHCP and as is. Where is the DHCP configuration screen. After Command:Setup > Network Settings - DHCP configuraiton screen is not available

Cellular > Router > Ipfire is complete. But Ipfire > Lan incomplete.

red network is DHCP 192.168.8.*

green network is static 192.168.2.2 (from your last screenshot)

access it as https://192.168.2.2:444/ then you can show the dhcp range for green.
(Network > DHCP server, top part of the screen)

1 Like

That’s not enough! Something is screwy. SEE

The FIB table error, you can disregard.

If you see a 169.254.x.x address, it means that the DHCP server is not reachable. It seems the range for the DHCP server on green is not setup correctly so you can run setup from the console and define it.

2 Likes

@smice-byte , could you please state your networks red, green, blue in CIDR notation?

The DHCP server configuration must define subsets of green ( and blue ) as IP pool.
Example: if green is 192.168.2.0/24, DHCP addresses for green can be 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.99

1 Like

Hello. Glad to see additonal ideas. As mentioned earlier, where is the DHCP Configuration Screen?

You may have to delete the green interface, then add it again and in the process it will pop the DHCP config screen for lan.

1 Like

Deleted all the interfaces. Interface section Blank. Resinstalled interfaces. The DHCP configuration screen did not show.

The dhcp server configuration on the console only shows one time at first setup. You can change this in the WebGUI. (you have to manually set the IP of the client to a matching address to reach the webserver or use elinks on console)

2 Likes

Could you post the contents of /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf ?

1 Like

By the way, for what it’s worth, I have NEVER been able to reconfigure the RED interface from the command line SETUP. It takes me through the normal options and allows the GREEN interface to be set up, but never gives me the RED interface option. That only occurs on the actual first time setup.

Also note that trying to change the GREEN subnet (eg from 192.168.32.0/24 to say 192.168.64.0/24) via console command SETUP causes a problem, as the old configs still remain in some other module’s config. It seems like the DHCP and the GREEN’s ip address are no longer sync’d.