Backup iso 0 bytes

This is what was recently added:

Creating the ISO includes the download of the standard .iso file from the IPFire site. Problems in reaching download.ipfire.org result in a .iso with size 0. Main reason for the fail is a broken DNS.

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Yea, I kinda figured thst one out but I am glad you posted it so others can see. I realized that when I pulled the backups script snd threw it in notepad so I could study what it was doing. My biggie is that for some reason the ipfire domain is slow in responding to my network and has been timing out. Probably the #1 reason the darn thing kept failing and giving me 0 bytelength files.

Eric

I’ve seen other posts from people with the same issue. Beside a bad DNS setting, I’m not sure I’ve seen any other solution.

I looked through the thread above and I didn’t see (or I missed) the “slow in responding”. Is this referring to the backup being slow or zero? Or something else? If something else you may want to open new thread.

Hi Jon, if this is the same thread I am thinking about, I posted a excerpt of my dns unbound log. I haven’t had a sign of any other domain giving me problems except ipfire. I am not sure, but could be a possibility that they have their IP on the public side as a load balancer to the backend. I can’t be 100% on that but downloads, wiki, mirrors, fw01 all point to the same IP, probably on different ports. Wondering now if the response time may be a culprit on the VIP. In any event, that’s what I meant to say earlier. Mind versus what I write lol…

Eric

Studying this thread ( and other posts of Eric ) and the scripts of the backup process, show the internet connection quality is the main culprit of this problem.
The creation process of the ISO needs the download from ipfire.org, both the .iso (part of the resulting ISO) and the .md5 file (for verification). The script presumes this is possible. Thus the error handling isn’t “very sophisticated” ( the error is reported by size=0 of the ISO ).
Problems in downloading the .iso and/or .md5 file are based on general configuration problems, starting with the DNS.

IPFire contains, as other ( all? ) software, the well-known GIGO principle. (GIGO=“Garbage in, garbage out”) :wink:

Bernhard

Side notice:

The discussion in this thread ( and some others ) show, the networking guys at ipfire.org do a good job!
Continuos problems in accessing the site indicate basic configuration problems.
Thus clicking the ipfire.org link in the WUI may be a possible verification of the basic system config.

Just my opinion.
-Bernhard

Bernhard,

This is the crappiest my internet gets on my internal lan. On my ISP internet edge, I hit 900 MB TX and RX bidirectional on a constant rate. How did you derive at the conclusion that I have quality issues on the Edge WAN connection? Just wondering LOL

I would absolutely agree, but documentation could use some work on the firewall software. With some basic tweaks in their docs, it would eliminate a lot of wondering of how things should be configured. For example, the Proxy, ports needing opened, and what modules would need to be configured with examples of the proper settings. I have found myself in more than 1 situation trying to negotiate the barrage of notes. Not saying they can document everything, because that is impossible, but the some additional documentation would be nice. LOL

Eric,
why do you say “they”? You are a part of the community! And yes, you also can enhance the documentation in the wiki. Your account at people.ipfire.org allows this.

Bandwidth is not the first parameter of a good connection. Your appliance (ipfire) should be configured in a way, that every client gets best service at all allowed connections.
allowed = name resolution possible through DNS server; not blocked by FW, URLfilter, IPS, …

Bernhard,

I didn’t develop the IPFire firewall, and am coming pretty new into this. They refers to development whom actually wrote the code and the GUI. While I am more than willing to help, it doesn’t put a strong road map out there for newcomers to say “ok, this is the best practice”

Eric

Eric,
maybe this clarifies a bit what I meant.

About the developers of the code you may search for contributors for Linux, IPCop, Squid, …
(That’s how open source works) :wink: