APU2C4 enough for FTTH?

Hi !

Im looking formward to have within one year a FTTH connection .
I will choose 500/100
I have aprox 10 clients, some vpn connections and some streaming apps. Its running actually with QOS.
Is the CPU of the APU strong enough to handle this ?
btw: just behind the APU the connection goes into a managed linksys switch to distribute it in the house.

Ciao Gerd

Without QoS, the hardware, including the CPU, won’t be a bottle neck. With QoS, I believe you will have a reduced bandwidth, probably around 250 Mbit/sec.

1 Like

good luck :crossed_fingers:

if your connection is PPPoE based: the answer is no and besides PC Engines apu platform EOL :bellhop_bell:

1 Like

Hi !
i do not use POE…
Which CPU is at minimum required to handle it ?

Ciao Gerd

I’m running an APC.3C4 with an FTTH 300Mbits via DHCP.

But i had to disable QoS to get use to the full bandwith.

Greetz

1 Like

OK… the question was which CPU is enough to handle it (regarding option to 1000Mbit)
A Celeron J4125 has 4 time more power… would this enought ?

Ciao Gerd

Where is that number from?

The hardware is not really EOL. It is End-Of-Sale, but since we have a huge part of IPFire installations worldwide running on it, it is not EOL from our end. We will have to support it for many many years to come.

And although it might be EOS soon, I do not know of anything that is just as great as this little box.

4 Likes

My own test. I should have specified that, as my own rules would change greatly the outcome of the speed test. I regret my inaccurate statement but it is too late to change the original post.

Hmm, this is very interesting. The QoS should basically not have any impact on throughput any more…

Likely the drop depends entirely on my rules. For example, the drop while downloading is double than when I upload. Definitely I am doing something wrong.

It could indeed be that some Layer 7 rules are more “expensive” than others. But since so much traffic is now TLS encrypted, they have very little use and I would recommend turning them off.

2 Likes

Would replacing Layer 7 rules with port rules be better?

This thread went a little off topic (OT) and no one answered the original posters (OP) last post…
(unless I missed something!)

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I think this is all brought up do to the overall question is performance.
Know one knows how much demand is going to be put on the system.
So performance tweaks or needs matter here.
Will there be 10 VPN connection all at one time grabbing resources from servers, down loading video conferencing.
So answering this gustion is tough. Other hardware like nics matter too.
This is not one guy behind a raspberry pi. Thinking he is going to run a business class firewall.Then guestion why you have no performance.

The origin question was

1. is a APU2C4 enought for FTTH with 500 Mbit when using Qos and some (4 or 5) low bandwith vpn connections
    and (if for the 1st Quest the answer would be “No”
  2. starting with which CPU i have to check for a device (e.g. Cel .J4125)

Ciao Gerd

2 Likes

with NO QoS and 1 or two VPN sessions, I get to > 800 Mbit/sec. This drops a lot with QoS, way below 500, but Michael posts have convinced me that I need to rebuild my QoS as probably if optimized I could get a better performance. In conclusion, I agree with @goerdi quoted assertion, but I am not sure we could NOT get above 500, with QoS and with a couple of VPN sessions. Possibly, an optimized APU2 could achieve that. This is a wonderful little machine and it is a damn shame its production has been discontinued. I personally bought a replacement machine in May, because I intend to keep using it for the next decade and even when I will buy newer and more performant routers, I will find a place for it in my network.

1 Like