Any Workaround for 2.4 and 5 GHz simultaniously?

Hey there,

I’m searching the web quite a while now for a solution for setting up 2.4 & 5 GHz WLAN (Qualcomm AR9382 card) simultaniously as two SSIDs with one DHCP on blue net.

I already messed around with iw and ifconfig, but after a restart the interfaces where messed up.

So would be quite nice if someone could help me out, or if it isn’t possible, it should be integrated in one of the next updates…

I mean we have 802.11ac for quite a while now, and I ain’t willing to buy an extra AP just for getting a feature which should be quite normal today.

Also I#m planning to create a setup with an APU 2E4 with the WLN900VX for my new home, so would be really annoying if I bought an ac capable three channel card for nothing.

I’m counting on your knowledge guys.

Nice greetings from Germany
jbogatka

It’s not.

Your go!

You get what you pay for.

Safe the money of that wifi card and get yourself a good AP.

Hey Jan-Niklas. Welcome.

A single card cannot function on multiple channels at the same time. The ones you are talking about supports both frequency bands, but only one channel at a time.

802.11ac mandates 5 GHz and 5 GHz only. It does not support 2.4 GHz.

The card supports MIMO, but that is not the same as supporting multiple channels at the same time.

For that, you would need a second radio with a second set of antennas.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback…
Seems like a big misunderstanding on my side.
I thought that this module has 3 separate transceivers integrated.

Anyways, would it technically possible with ipfire to use two cards, one in 2.4 and one in 5 both connected to the blue net?

Thanks
Jan-Niklas

I guess it is a right assumption to make. Those plastic access points have multiple radios and make it looks as one to the user.

Yes it is, with a bit of manual configuration file editing.

I would recommend to migrate everything you can to 802.11ac on 5 GHz only. Especially in bigger cities the spectrum is so busy that you are getting a much better experience on 5 GHz.

IPFire supports DFS - if the hardware supports it, too. That way you can use channels in that band that probably nobody else is using.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m living in a village near Bremen, so it’s not a big problem for me with 2.4, but my problem is, that my Notebook only supports 2.4 :smiley:, so for at least a while I will keep using both frequencies.

OT: I saw that you’re the CEO of Lightning Wire Labs, I read about the hardware, but didn’t looked closer because you have no prices at all on your side… I can understand this for business and industrial hardware, but the mini Appliance seem (for me at least) more like consumer class, so maybe it would be a good idea to give potential customers at least a hint where the journey will go to.

It took me a while to find also!

https://store.lightningwirelabs.com/products/groups/firewall-appliances

1 Like

Thanks…I still don’t really know under which path to find it on the main page, but now I know that I had the opportunity to get a complete solution for the same or less than I paid now… :joy:

Hello @ms :slight_smile:
I would also be interested in running two wlan cards (2.4 and 5 GHz) simultaneously for the same network (I typically combine blue and green into one network). As I nice coincidence, the new casing for my new APU4D4 also can hold four antennas … when you say “a bit of manual … editing …” is this already documented somewhere, so I can copy the approach?
TIA!
M.