Accessing IPFire from RED interface connected to WiFi router?

Hi there! I’m having some trouble figuring this out. I’m trying to use IPFire in the following way:

My main Router —> IPFire (connected via WLAN) —> Secondary router (connected IPFire device LAN port —> secondary router WAN port)

IPFire is configured the following way: (I use a Raspberry Pi)

→ The green interface is mapped to the Ethernet port of the Raspberry Pi. It is connected to the WAN port on my secondary router.
→ The red interface is mapped to the WLAN interface of the Raspberry Pi. It is connected to my main router via WLAN.

I am getting internet access from the secondary router via IPFire and it’s working fine with acceptable speeds for my use (as a WiFi extender for my garden with an IPS & access control). However, I can’t get access to IPFire unless I connect the cable for the green interface directly to my computer.

I set up the following firewall rule to see if I could access IPFire when connected to my main router:

(IPFire has the address 192.168.1.139 on GREEN)

I can not access it on my secondary router either, that’s most likely because it is connected to the WAN port. On my secondary router, I tried to port forward from any source in LAN → 192.168.1.139 in WNA, but that didn’t work either.

I’d love to get this working - thanks!

Hi,

welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

This sounds like your secondary router is dropping traffic to IP space not globally routable (except for the local RFC 1918 network it is part of). If so, you should not be able to ping your IPFire’s GREEN interface, either.

Could you, if you are running a Linux- or BSD-based operating system, run

mtr [IP address or FQDN of your IPFire's GREEN interface]

and post its results here? You might need to install mtr in the first place, but its a diagnosis tool that comes in handy all the time. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

info about MTR:

2 Likes