A kind of conflict ipfire vs. discourse

hello world

imho:
ipfire is to fw’s what palemoon is for browser’s.

quite sad to read:

What are the minimum browser requirements?
Discourse is designed for the next 10 years of the Internet, so the minimum browser requirements are high.
Discourse supports the latest, stable releases of all major browsers and platforms:
Microsoft Edge
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Apple Safari
Additionally, we aim to support Safari on iOS 12.5+ until January 2023 (Discourse 3.0).

so it is not possible to visit and participate on https://community.ipfire.org/
by using palemoon :full_moon: :wolf:

so far my feedback

post scriptum:
th uix is ridiculous i cant send my reply from
the so called ‘full screen composer’ :man_facepalming:

I never heard of Pale Moon before! (I don’t get out much! :upside_down_face:)

Thank you for letting us know Pale Moon doesn’t work. Since it is Firefox based I am surprised it doesn’t work.

Honestly it would be much better to let Discourse know. It would be Discourse that would make any changes. I believe their https://meta.discourse.org/ has a site feedback section also.

@jon
happy to help you out with palemoon.
i hope, despite ur :upside_down_face: , u see the
points in common for ipfire and palemoon… :goggles:

under the guise of useless features the ‘user’ is
pushed into directions declared as ‘good’

to be more specific: discourse claims itself as opensource/civilized
and lists m$ and geevil as very first requirements :japanese_ogre:

@ipfire
well, I understand!

Discourse also no longer works with SeaMonkey which is a Firefox fork.

Discourse gives the message that my browser is not up to date, even though it is because it follows the updates that Firefox implements.

In the past I have flagged up at Discourse that SeaMonkey didn’t work with it but never got any response.

Maybe I will try again.

Currently I use SeaMonkey for most things but I also have to have Firefox for accessing this forum and also for doing some payments because some payment sites end up not working with SeaMonkey, probably because they are doing all sort of popup type stuff.

I see another conflict.

Platform A is continuously developed and aimed for at least what we call Web2.0

Platform B is a tiny oddball clinging to the past that some use due to obscure claims “things was better 10-15-20-30 years ago” and not adopting modern tech, albeit still being developed and making people believe their approach is somehow “better”.

Now, having said that, I am not a fan of Discourse either, but I feel you are being very unfair when you claim it’ Discourse’s fault that SeaMonkey and Palemoon have issues with it.

SeaMonkey never used to have issues with the IPFire Discourse forum. I used to do all my input etc via SeaMonkey since the IPFire forum started using Discourse.

A few months ago Discourse decided that for any browser that is not on their supported list they will no longer serve the full html pages to you or serve the login page, just a very slimmed down web format only.

if your ‘web 2.0’ did not already filtered out the content,
you can try a litte research to revise the false-view given to you SM/PM are from the past :roll_eyes:

I admit web 2.0 is a bit of an ambiguous expression, but…

Really… ?

Pale Moon originated as a fork of Firefox, but has subsequently diverged. The main differences are the user interface, add-on support, and running in single-process mode. Pale Moon retains the highly customizable user interface of the Firefox version 4–28 era. It also continues to support some types of add-ons and plugins that are no longer supported by Firefox including NPAPI plugins such as Adobe Flash Player as well as legacy Firefox extensions.

I don’t have to know when I can read. I see nothing that changes my opinion. Flash Player?

Also, the XUL framework has proven a hindrance for future development of both Firefox and Thunderbird and thankfully they are, and have, dropped that so we can finally see a more modern codebase for Thunderbird, which I personally have tried to use numerous times, but had to drop due to this hindrance in plugin and extension development.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_63#.22Legacy.22_XUL_extensions_with_overlays

Despite the removal in Firefox Quantum of support for XUL-based legacy add-ons in favour of WebExtensions, the stable/ESR release of Thunderbird 60 in mid-2018 continued to support them, although most would require updates, and it did not support WebExtensions except for Themes.

So it is not as easy as “I use this browser because I like it”, when the underlying tech is so interconnected and do not let the browser itself evolve as it possibly could and may also be a hindrance for other, related, development.

On a sidenote, the only reason I know abut XUL is because I once a few years ago read up a bit on what was stalling the plugin development. Bit off topic, I know.

All in all, you can’t expect relatively small players in this market segments to be able to have a strong development and support later, or even most, web technologies out there. They are way below 1% and even if looking a bit in to market shares, and finding no numbers for SeaMonkey or Pale Moon, I would suspect that in regards to market scrutiny’s by StatConter and other agencies, they both fall within the Firefox share. It depends on how they declare themselves to the world.

On the other hand, you can, equally, not blame Discourse for focusing it’s compatibility on the remaining ≈ 98% of browsers.

So keep using what you will, but do not expect everything to work as expected. Many corporate sites are still optimized for Internet Explorer, I hope that is no big surprise…That is why Edge still has the IE Mode button.

Internet Explorer mode in Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Support

To me, privacy and security goes firmly behind my browser choice. Functionality comes third, but if a browser has issues with presenting information I really want to read, like this forum and the IPFire site, well, I can ask the owners if they know about this and it’s causes and if they can do anything about it.

If not, I find a way to read it anyway by using an alternative browser. It is a nuisance of course.

1 Like

@sec-con
:-1:
i am sorry, it seems impossible to make myself clear :brain: :bomb:
however, no one is interested at all,
98% are happy followers. :clap:

@sec-con is correct in that technology changes over time.
Some thing fall out of favor and disappear.
You may have to look into another browser.
Midori or Canary
Or Brave.
I have bin a long time firefox user
But their browser on mobile sucks.
A modern browser must be mobile friendly
When half of all internet traffic is on mobile devices.
Firefox really needs a overhaul.
I may have to give Opera a 2nd look.

@hvacguy
one can not stop the change, it is futile :alien: and not the point here :person_shrugging:
but the changes must not enslave the users :bangbang:
to act as a follower of the 98% monopoly one can not escape the dilemma :wink:
and silly me thought ipfire is an escape to the dilemma :person_shrugging:

to scetch the ‘conflict’
use ipfire and to participate to the community use edge or chrome :thinking:
or firefox (but better not it is a dead end :construction:)

b.t.w. the proposed ‘other browses’ tells a lot :robot:

Don’t blame IPFire for decisions Discourse have taken.

When the forum was changed over to Discourse a large variety of browsers worked with Discourse. They usually gave a warning that the browser was out of date and might not work correctly but I never had any problems ever.

More recently Discourse took the decision to block any browser that was not part of a small list. That is their choice to make. We can all give Discourse our input on this but I suspect there will not be a large enough number of inputs to make much difference.

We will all have to live with that. Changing from Discourse to another forum system is unlikely to be considered due to the amount of work involved in doing so, which would divert the focus and energies of the small group of developers supporting IPFire.

3 Likes

@bonnietwin i am aware of the very limited resources and do not blame ipfire :bulb:
if time comes and new decisions must be made this very site feedback must not be ignored :wink:

and exactly as you wrote: their choice and not enough :slightly_frowning_face: :chains: