You are running IPFire on a legacy architecture and it is recommended to upgrade

Hello All,
I am not sure what I should do… my CPU is:
AMD Turion™ II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
It should be 64bit.
Thanks for your advice
-Gian

It is not the processor but the software version that produces the message.
If you use the 32Bit version of IPFire, that is normal.
You should change to 64Bit ( …x64 ).

Why don’t simply use a simple search engine?

Do I have to reinstall from scratch?
I am afraid I’d not be able to restore the configuration…

There are tutorials for the change 32Bit --> 64Bit here in the community.
Also interesting:

thanks, I’ll check it

You must install from x64 iso but you can restore settings with the x86 ipf backup. Tested it a couple of times in a VM and it worked flawlessly.

I am moving my production x86 IPFIRE from physical to VM on ESXi box tomorrow morning using the same process.

Hi,

I am moving my production x86 IPFIRE from physical to VM on ESXi box tomorrow morning using the same process.

just for the records: Although it is possible to run IPFire in a virtual environment, we strongly recommend not to do this in production for security purposes.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

I’ve run this exact model for many years and only on 64-bit operating system. I don’t use it for IPFire, although I have a friend who has done so for many years.

As you are probably aware, it is possible to put a second NIC in as a low-profile PCIe card.

That’s an odd statement seeing as IPFIRE is offered as an AWS appliance (virtual machine). I will search threads for a reasoning behind this.

Ok, done it.
Thank All of you for your comments, the new release is up and running.
BTW, after carefully having read what is included in the backup, copied the network setup on paper, copied the DSL parameters, I proceeded to the upgrade, which went fine… only to realize I had FORGOTTEN to backup! :grimacing: I had to setup OpenVPN and fixed leases by hand…

1 Like