WLAN stops and starts again

Congratulations, very happy for you.

If you would be so inclined, whenever and if you decide to update, would be great if you could open a bug report, with as much documentation as possible, including the output of lspci and lsusb console commands. I would also save from the present installation /var/log/bootlog and include it in the report together with the bootlog of 162 and the kernel logs.

To me it seems clear there is an hardware issue with your ethernet card triggered by some change happened between Linux 5.10 to 5.15 and would be very useful to document it.

2 Likes

Hi all,

for the records:

https://lists.ipfire.org/pipermail/development/2021-December/011856.html

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂźller

2 Likes

Unfortunately that won’t do.
After running the 3 h without brake downs the PC didn’t accept the green line on a suddon. I tried to connect with another pc direct to the ipfire - same result. The cable tested with the old fritz-box worked.
The usb-port with wlan reports “restricted access”
Presently I have no access to the box and after reading pmueller concerning the tx-team duo box I am a little bit at a loss.

If I can do a little bit more of testing I will do it.

On the other hand I can not exclude that the box has a hardware defect although the box is less them 2 years old.

Now there I am an “experienced installer of ipfire” I can wait for the next update and give the box another try.

2 Likes

Status update:
I did a second fresh installation to my tx-team-box with ipfire-161 and it works since one weak absolutely perfect. I have also the goodies web proxy and IPS on the green and the blue network running. So the sun is shining again :slight_smile:
Open task:
Well I can’t stick to the version 161 for ever. Presently I avoid upgrading to the currant version of ipfire (162).
o Shall I wait for version 163 for updating?

o If yes can I use the update process or have I to start a fresh installation?

I think it is still unclear what is the problem with your hardware. Until you manage to track it down, you cannot know if any IPFire installation with linux 5.15 and above will work for your hardware until you try it. Upgrading with packfire and doing a fresh installation with a restore of you config files are basically the same thing. The only reason to do a fresh install and restore of a backup is for a downgrade since IPFire has no downgrade procedure possible.

1 Like

Can you boot from an external hard drive? If yes, I would install IPFire 163 and up on a USB stick memory and boot from there. This way you can quickly test if it works while keeping the current version safely installed in your internal hard disk, just one reboot away from working properly again.

If you do this, please collect the relevant logs discussed previously and open a bug report for the IPFire developers. That would be quite useful for the project.

Thank you for the explanation. I my one words that means an upgrade and a new installation sweeps the the whole partition and no “old files” are left. Especially if one has done 2 years updates. Sound good news.

On my tx-team duo box there are three usb ports. One i need for the keyboard, one for the installation media and one for the usb drive. So fare so good. Can I choose during the installation process and during starting ipfire from what drive I start?

That means to omit 162 and wait until 163 is out.
I will try your proposal and will hope to provide you with the appropriate log files.

During the installation process, you first boot from IPFire installation medium. The Installation program starts and it try to detect the hard disks available. It will see the internal one, but it should also see the other USB disk. If this happens, then you can chose that one as the destination for the install process. Just make sure not to chose the internal HD disk. However, it is also possible that it will not detect your USB disk, in that case, this strategy is not viable, unless you remove the internal hard disk and you temporarily swap it with another one.

If you succeed and you install IPFire in a USB stick, then you have to make sure the firmware of your computer will boot first from the USB disk and after from the internal one, as it happens when you do the install procedure.

At my ordinary computers there is a moment during the booting process, when I can change to the bios configuration. At the duo-box I don’t see it. I will talk to the people at tx-team for a hint.
Thank you again for your help