WLAN Client on green?

Hello,

after long searches which system to use for my openvpn/reverse proxy gateway I finally decided to install ipfire on my raspberry pi 4b. It is a very fine piece of software and I really like its possibilites! So, I am a newbie to ipfire…

I flashed a 64GB SSD HD with raspberry imager on Windows 7 and used the aarch64 img.xz file, which created three partitions - is that right?

Booting the machine worked like a charm on my geekworm nas case (Geekworm NASPi V2.0 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Kit with Auto Power On Function). To improve the wifi signal I installed the acrylic front shield rather than the aluminum one.

Internet connection (red) is up and running with my static IP address from Vodafone (onboard eth). The connection to a DMZ (orange) is implemented with an USB to eth adapter (external power supply mandatory). To reach the web interface of ipfire I want to use my integrated wifi adapter as my green connection. My router is a FritzBox Cable 6591. How do I get the wifi card up and running and recognized by my FritzBox using the console? As I understand hostapd is not meant to configure a wifi client at all.

Which package do I need to install for that purpose?

Thank you so much for your appreciated answers!

Ok, I was able to start wifi with wpa_supplicant, which is available already, and network green0. But how do I save a conf-file on /etc/wpa_supplicant? I tried to install mc, but failed due to the following problem:

The system does not change back to the console, instead I get the message “RRM: Ignoring radio measurement request: Not RRM network”, the commands “q” and “exit” do not work. Yet I am able to connect with my ipfire device via web interface from another machine in the same network…

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Sorry, me again - for all people who are newbies with wifi on Linux as me…

Open a second console with ctrl - alt - F2, install mc or just work with bash commands,

mkdir /etc/wpa_supplicant/
wpa_passphrase 'WLAN_NAME" “WLAN_PASSWORD” >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
exit

Connect with

wpa_supplicant -i green0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

or

wpa_supplicant -i green0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf &

This sends the process to the background. If I have problems autostart wifi, I will find out and report my solution asap.

You can find the description in german here: Raspberry Pi OS: WLAN konfigurieren

EDIT: from moderator with English translate:

2 Likes

Autostart needs further configuration, I will be back tomorrow.

Even the scenario is kind of special, may I ask you to write a how to (when you are done) and put in in the wiki (or we will put it there).

2 Likes

Hi Terry,

thanks for your reply!

After some consideration I decided to use a second USB to Ethernet device with a powered hub. Of course the problem is you will lockout yourself from the web UI when you power down the wifi. A solution could be to have wifi running on startup with autostart, shut it down and reboot to start it again - a bit awkward, but manageable.

Since I am just trying to build an addon for my raspberry to get the fan running, I will not write a how to soon, but I will be back for it.