WiFi card is not used for blue0

Hi,

I had a perfectly working IPFire-system where I installed everythign fro mscratch now to get rid of the “legacy”-warning, means I now installed the x64-package. The system is running, hostapd was installed and the backups for system and hostapd could be restored successfully.

But: WiFi is gone.

When I do a

/etc/init.d/hostapd start

I get an error message

Could not find interface with address blue0 for wireless access point

When I check in setup → Networking → Drivers and card assignments the wireless adapter is assigned to BLUE

iwconfig also tells me the hardware is there:

blue0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

In /etc/hostapd.conf a wrong driver was listed, I replaced it by ath9k (which is correct for the Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter)

Neverhteless it isn ot working. So any idea what I could check?

Thanks!

Just try to disassociate the blue0 interface from the NIC in setup.
Then associate the NIC again.
Sometimes I had this behaviour with new hostapd versions, also. Don’t know what cause this.

OK, I tried associating BLUE via setup/drivers and card assignments to a different NIC and then back to the Wifi device. And I treid removing the assignment and then setting it back to the WiFi card.The only result in both cases: iwconfig now shows my WiFi device as dummy0:

dummy0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

red0 no wireless extensions.

green0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

blue0 no wireless extensions.

In setup BLUE is correctly assigned but it is still dummy0 …

OK, I found it: it is an issue in /etc/init.d/hostapd script.

1. the dummy0-issue was gone after a reboot.

2. The problem with hostapd not starting was still there. I checked the script in /etc/init.d/hostapd and there is a bug:

First “blue0” is assigned to a variable INTERFACE (uppercase letters), later the variable “interface” (lowercase letters) is used. So this can’t work. The misleading error message about missing “blue0” came by a check which was done before starting hostapd but it did not make use of the variable but of some hardcoded text containing the information about blue0

That is not quite right!
I just changed /etc/init.d/hostapd to output “Starting hostapd… ${interface}” ( the variable set by find_interface() ). I get “Starting hostapd… blue0”, as expected.
Do you get error messages when running /etc/init.d/hostapd start or /etc/init.d/hostapd restart?

1 Like

Yes, the error-message is

which is the hard-coded text from the hostapd init script.

It isn’t hard-coded text, ‘blue0’ is the interface name.
But it wasn’t found in /sys/class/net ( as active/associated to my understanding of the bash script ).
So there should be some other errors from bringing up this interface.

OK and how can I find out what errors prevent it from coming up?

Update: ls -al /sys/class/net

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jun 16 16:16 blue0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/0000:05:00.0/net/blue0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jun 16 16:16 eth0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/0000:01:00.0/net/eth0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jun 16 16:16 green0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/0000:03:00.0/net/green0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jun 16 16:16 lo -> ../../devices/virtual/net/lo
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jun 16 16:16 red0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:05.0/0000:02:00.0/net/red0

You should get errors on reboot, for example,
The structure of /sys/class/net seems ok.
hostapd checks for the contents of /sys/class/net/blue0/address.
My installation shows the MAC of my wireless card.