Wake on LAN Green and Red interfaces

When I try to set up a WOL the page shows a selection button to select the interface on which the magic packets should be sent.
Schermata del 2021-12-13 16-24-31
Unfortunately only the Green interface is selectable.
The Red inteface is not listed under the selection.
I could work-around the problem by accessing the command line.
Schermata del 2021-12-13 16-32-12
However I think that it is probably a bug that can be easily solved.
Thanks
Aldo

I think WOL on the red interface doesn’t make sense really. IPFire gives internet access to the local networks, so we should assume a permanent connection on the WAN side (red).

Aldo, as the acronym says, this is Wake-on-LAN, the local area network. However, it is possible to send a magic packet to another network but that requires additional configuration.

2 Likes

The permanent connection is OK but you use the WOL to switch on auxiliary devices that may lay in the Red area.

Non special configuration s needed as I have set one WOL in the Internet side as you can see in the picture.
I have a device that doesn’t need to be continuosly on between the modem and the IP Fire box.
I use WOL to switch on when necessary and the unit shuts down automatically at the end of the need.

However if there is a selection switch there should be more than one option!

There is more than one selection if you have more than just two interfaces.

I have four interfaces on my IPFire and so I have green, blue and orange as choices on my drop down box.

1 Like