Unfortunately i also have made the observation that tech/knowledge/thinking for people is to demanding

People see themselves forced to keep pace with the technical evolution. How else would you explain to them that a ransomware made their files unavailable and that only because someone clicked on a DHL phishing link?

It can very well happen outside the office as well.

Having said that I have worked with it-related support since 2000 in a few different roles. In a country that considers it self very techy and up to date. That notion is just wrong. People understand given instructions, like do not click that link, but they seldom bother to find out more about why. “IT says no!”.
TBH, no offence intended, among the worst people I ever dealt with are mid managers with iphones and imacs. Sure, they might know their gear, I guess they put in some time towards that considering it costs triple than any other sensible equipment, but very few of them learn anything about IT or how a high tech organisation works for real.

As for IPFire, we are in a growing business. Just one link out of the blue: Comprehensive Study on FWaaS Market Segments and Outlook, 2022-2028

So how can it fail given a reasonable development and something to spur payments towards the product. IPFire wants to be a free alternative, as I understand it, but a number of the competitors also are, at least partially, up to some level of complexity.

Having used IPFire for a few months I have grown comfortable with what I use and also got to know some of the people behind it, so I am willing to start paying, a bit. 120€ per year is not too much, for me, then again I guess it depends on how devs and owners want to iron out a payment scheme, first year free, stay on for 100€ per year and get… get… what? Premium support? More advanced functionality? I really can’t say, but the main topic of this thread is to get IPFire out to more people, so I guess that is where the efforts must be made in the first place.

I have one idea. How about a small remake of the logo? Make it a bit stronger and simpler.

You know, Jaguar did that in early 2000’s, they went from the traditional Growler that had been hanging around since the 50’s (they also changed the Leaper, but not a huge difference):

to a simpler, stronger and updated variant:

I think the IPFire TUX can suffer an update towards the same direction, still keeping it as a penguin and fangs optional… :wink:

EDIT:

From a small text I wrote:

Dear colleagues,

As you know, personal IT security is an important matter that affects all of us, including us as regular individuals and members of society. Often, when we think about IT security, we tend to focus on businesses and organizations that need to safeguard their data and systems from cyberattacks and other threats. However, we mustn’t forget the significance of personal IT security, especially within our own homes.

In today’s digital era, it is easy to fall into traps that can expose us and our loved ones to significant risks. This can range from clicking on deceptive links in emails to using weak passwords that can be easily hacked by cybercriminals.

As ordinary people, we are all potential targets for attackers seeking to steal personal information or manipulate our decisions. Therefore, it is crucial that we take personal IT security seriously and take necessary measures to protect ourselves and our homes from cyber threats.

Here are some steps we can take to enhance personal IT security in our homes:

• Utilize strong passwords and change them regularly.
  • Enable two-factor authentication for all your online accounts.
  • Regularly update your software and operating systems to ensure you have the latest security patches.
  • Exercise caution when clicking on links in emails or on social media, especially if they come from unknown senders.
  • Install and utilize antivirus software and firewalls on all your devices.

Additionally, it is important that we educate ourselves and our family members about personal IT security. This can involve discussing the risks associated with sharing personal information online or opening attachments from unfamiliar sources.

In summary, I want to stress the importance of individuals taking personal IT security at home seriously. By taking appropriate measures to protect ourselves and our loved ones, we can serve as examples for others to follow. Together, we can contribute to making the internet a safer place for everyone.

2 Likes