Support of libjson-perl possible

As a separate question, I saw that your build had created i586 files. That would imply that your build machine has a 32 bit OS on it.
I would just like to check that your IPFire hardware is 64 bit (x86_64) and that you are running the 64 bit version of IPFire.

If yes then no problems.

If not then you will need to look at upgrading so you can install the 64 bit version of IPFire as the 32 bit version of IPFire will reach EOL at the end of this year. See following link to blog post.

https://blog.ipfire.org/post/new-year-more-bits

Hello Adolf,
thats true. I try to run the build command without “linux32” prefix and the build was moreless directly
aborted.
I thought, that I have to use it.
Will it be o.k. for you to move this discussion into the maillist ?
Best regards
R.

Hi Ritchie,

That is not something I can do for you. You need to join the list and raise the question about adding the libjson-perl addon into the standard addons for IPFire.

The devs are very friendly people and they will welcome you to the dev mailing list. They will want to understand what your motivation for the addon is and that you will support it for the future as well, when any updates to the source code are made.
There have been other addons that have been created and then no further support has been forthcoming. As the core dev team is very small they want confidence that any addon created will be supported in the longer term and not just for a couple of months leaving them to have to provide ongoing support.

I started like you about 2 years ago and I was warmly welcomed to the development list and supported when I had any questions.

Hello Adolf,

Do i have to include after each core update again my own addon ?
I guess my own addon is gone after update to core 156 today :-(.

Best regards
R.

Hi Ritchie,

No I wouldn’t expect it to be removed by a Core Update. The Core Update knows nothing about your addon. Specifically it does not have a rootfile with the list of all installed files so that it can install and uninstall them.

The worst that I would expect to happen is that if your addon is running as a daemon then it might be stopped by the upgrade and not restarted but I thinbk your addon is a library rather than a daemon so that should not be a problem.

You can easily check. Look in the libjson-perl.ipf package (or whatever it is called in your build). This is basically a tar file so can be viewed with any tar viewer. You can see all the files and the folders that they would be installed in so you can check if everything is still there.

From my experience with bacula when I started with it as a local addon I would expect it all to still be there. Let me know what you find.

Regards,
Adolf

Hello Adolf,

it looks like, that the used perl version was also updated from 5.30.0 to 5.32.1.
Thats the reason why my files are gone, because the files where located within

usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.30.0/JSON/

this folder is no longer existing.

I have to rebuild the addon again.

Edit:
Is already listed in the release note.

Best regards
R.

Hi Ritchie,

So normally you would be okay but a new perl installation will wipe your addon out as it has no knowledge that it is there.

Good luck with the re-install of the addon. That shouldn’t take too long.

Hello Adolf,
I have to think about how many work will it be for me, to support this module
for the actual version.
I will need this module and I am thinking about a additional perl-addon.
I works now again with the latest version 4.03. :slight_smile:

Best regards
R.

That’s great to hear. :+1: