Static NAT for gaming

I am wanting to move from PfSense to IPFire and am configuring a IPFire machine to swap in some morning when the rest of the house still sleeps. I have configured everything I care about with one exception - to support Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Switch I had to create what the internet called a static NAT rule (Nintendo Switch - Needs static port on its outbound NAT | Netgate Forum) and I can find nothing similar on the IPFire web interface.

It seems like other online games require the same configuration, so maybe its already there in IPFire? I have tried to search here for anything similar but if it exists my search skills could not find it. I really need to upgrade the firewall and I want to move to IPFire but if my kids’ games stop I just can’t listen to the grief.

Cheers

Mike

Hello nbxmike, welcome at the IPFire community.

I think this configuration is call SNAT in IPFire.
See wiki.ipfire.org - Using Source NAT
The static IP mentioned in the article cited, can be defined by a ‘fixed lease’.

Hope, I got it in a first look into the link forum topic.

1 Like

I believe you do not need any special configuration for this.

Router replacement is scheduled for tomorrow, followed by feature testing over the weekend. I will let you know which I had to do - I’m going to see what happens with Michael’s do nothing and proceed to Bernhard’s link if needed.

2 Likes

In case anyone finds this, IPFire required no configuration changes to support the Nintendo Switch.

1 Like