Some web pages cannot be resolved

Hello Community,

I have been using IPFire for over ten years now. I have always been very satisfied and don’t want that to change. Lately, however, I’ve been having some problems with web pages resolving.
I’m not sure if it’s because of IPFire, because I didn’t notice these problems until after I moved. But also reinstalled IPFire since I replaced the old Intel Atom with a PC with Gigabit.

I use the IPFire with DHCP and OpenVPN, no proxy, no URL filtering, and not many special firewall rules.

Now to my problem:
From time to time it happens that certain websites are not reachable.
Currently it is “https://gitlab.fhnw.ch” from the university of applied sciences or also “https://www.anisearch.de/”.

Eventually, sometimes after days, the pages are accessible again.

IPFire-Version: IPFire 2.27 (x86_64) - core160
Pakfire-Version: 2.27-x86_64

I have already tried the following:

  • IPFire Update
  • Other DNS servers (not these from the provider)
  • DNS via DHCP directly to another server, not via IPFire
  • Resolve the website via tracert: works
  • Trigger web page IP via tracert: works

If a web page cannot be resolved, then all devices on the network are affected, Windows PC as well as Android Mobile. I can therefore rule out a local problem on the device.
The above mentioned pages are accessible via mobile (LTE not WLAN).

I hope you have enough information about my problem to give me more tips and help.

Thanks a lot
neXar

ps: translated via deepl :wink:

Next time it happens I would do a nslookup gitlab.fhnw.ch from the ipfire console. If you cannot resolve the domain, it is a dns problem. Then try again but this time give to the command line a specific dns server, like 8.8.8.8. The utility will interrogate directly that server.

[root@ipfire cfusco]# nslookup www.anisearch.de 8.8.8.8
Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	www.anisearch.de
Address: 168.119.4.235
Name:	www.anisearch.de
Address: 2a01:4f8:242:4f94::2

Vice versa, if you can resolve the domain I would put the IP given back by the nslookup to the browser and confirm it is a routing problem. At least you can narrow down the issue.

2 Likes