Rsync via ssh doesn't work anymore since Core 170

Do I have to reinstall to restore the 169 backup and come back?

Or does that also go back from core 170 to 169 (import backup)?

Regards

Yes you have to first re-install CU169 and then restore from the backup. The backup only stores all the configuration and settings files and not any of the core programs that will have changed versions between CU169 and CU170

2 Likes

Hi @dyle

CU171 Testing has been released now.

If you can test the rsync out with this Testing release it would be good. If it works then the bug can be changed to VERIFIED.

Can you switch back to stable with the next update?
I don’t want to reinstall. =))

I am not sure that you can.

I know that if you are on a Testing release and that same release has some updates done to it then you can revert to the previous Testing release and update to to the latest Testing release.

I don’t know what thew situation is for updating from a Testing Release to the same version stable release.

That is something I have never tried as doing a re-install and restore of the backup has always been easier for me. I can typically do a re-install in around 20 minutes but I do get quite a bit or practice, especially on my vm system.

If you can’t evaluate CU171 Testing then you will have to wait for CU171 Stable to be released and it it turns out that it does not solve your problem then you will need to wait till the next CU after that.

I will try and see if I can set something up on my vm testbed to evaluate rsync.

For info:
I ran rsync on my vm testbed ipfire with CU171 Testing and successfully synchronised a directory on a green client to ippire from ipfire.

Both rsync versions were 3.2.6

2 Likes

Just to be certain I also set up and ran a CU170 vm with rsync and this also worked fine doing the same synchronisation. IPFire had version 3.2.4 and the client on green had 3.2.6

I went back and read though the bug that came from the CVE-2022-29154 patch and realised that it doesn’t stop all synchronisation, it stops randomly selected files from being synchronised.

So my test does not guarantee that the problem has been solved as I did not get an error with the old IPFire rsync-3.2.4 version

Full confirm will need to wait for @dyle to test CU171 when it is given full release and using the same file set as failed on CU170.

1 Like

Thank you for your help!

I then wait until CU171 stable arrives.

Until then I have to save the backups locally…\

Thanks

Hi,

Core Update 171 containing the updated rsync version has been released.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter MĂźller

1 Like

After the update to Core 171 everything runs clean and tidy again. Class!
Thanks for the great work!

2 Likes