Rewriting DNS record

I’m trying to implement YCast as a vtuner.com alternative in my home network. For this to work correctly with my AVR, I need all DNS requests to *.vtuner.com to be redirected to the machine running YCast.

Unbound is perfectly able to do that for me, but I don’t find any way to add such a redirecting/rewriting rule using the IPFire GUI. When I try to add a host vtuner with domain com or marantz (required for my specific AVR) with domain vtuner.com, I get the error that I have entered an invalid domain. I assume this is because those are ofcourse not my domains.

Ultimately I had to implement it by adding a vtuner.conf-file in the /etc/unbound/local.d directory containing:

server:
	local-zone: "vtuner.com" redirect
	local-data: "vtuner.com A <local IP>"

Is it true that there is no way to currently accomplish this using the IPFire GUI? If so, could this be considered to be implemented in some way?

Hi,

being a DNS purist, I am against such split-horizon crutches (sorry, I can’t resist to mention it :slight_smile: ).

However, rewriting hosts/DNS recors is supported by the IPFire (IPv4 records and PTRs only), please refer to the corresponding documentation for further information.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Strange. I tried adding it to the hosts in IPfire as described in the mentioned documentation; and it didn’t allow me to by giving the error “invalid domain”… When I now tried it again, it indeed just worked and (broke unbound due to the still existing local.d/conf, but after removing that) vtuner.com is now still correctly redirected to my local machine. So I assume the real problem here was somewhere between the keyboard and my chair… :-/

I understand this rewriting of DNS entries is quite evil, but I’m afraid I don’t have any other choice as my AVR does not let me change the address it is using to browse/play internet radio… So I’m just defeating evil with evil :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Hi,

I tried adding it to the hosts in IPfire as described in the mentioned documentation; and it didn’t allow me to by giving the error “invalid domain”… When I now tried it again, it indeed just worked and (broke unbound due to the still existing local.d/conf, but after removing that) vtuner.com is now still correctly redirected to my local machine.

this sounds strange indeed. In case you can reproduce this and trace it back to an error somewhere, could you open a bug at https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/ (your login credentials work there as well)?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller