Question in common sense

Smoothly. I have discussed this for some time. Sorry for the inconvenience of availability, with the sources of public access.

I also have difficulties finding free quality material hosted on the internet.

Of course, the name “IPFire” could cause mental distress for those who suffer recurring urinary tract infections.

I say this only partially tongue-in-cheek. These things can very easily be taken too far. The issue with “master/slave” I can understand, especially given the fact that slavery still exists in the world. But “blacklist” and “whitelist” were never racial terms; they came from a biblical notion of darkness vs. light, good vs. evil, as in John 3:19. Technically correct racial terms would be “darkbrownlist” and “lightbrownlist” anyway.

But how far do we really want to go down this rabbit hole?

1 Like

Just to go the other way around.
The term ‘user guide’ isn’t neutral either. If you translate ‘guide’ to German or Italian you get the words ‘Führer’ / ‘Duce’, which are political incorrect in these countries because of fascism.

SCNR

1 Like

But it’s simple, just leave it as is. Nothing has been changed in the code. To be honest, I don’t care if the software is made by whites, blacks, Asians or any country in the world. For me, it must contain technical professionalism.

The Linux Team just released new terminology.

1 Like

I have been following this dialogue on IRC freenode for five years.

1 Like

That is a strange example. In German you would use Handbuch. There is nothing wrong with the term user guide.

I know the german terms very well. But if you translate it straight, you can get the relation guide <–> Führer.
Ok, wasn’t a very suitable example for disambguities.

BTW: the german word “Sklave” isn’t that much negative as the english word “slave” ( especially in the US ). Is this caused by the different histories of the two countries? Don’t know.

I guess we can conclude here. The debate is carnage. We are talking about single words instead about - in my opinion - actual problem.

I do not want to waste my time on this.

To me, certain words mean something different than to others and in general this is fine.

If anyone wants to submit a patch to fix this I would be happy to give my consent to have it merged, but I would insist that this work is being done for all languages that IPFire supports and not only one. The person who is spearheading this work will have to find people to contribute their own language. Otherwise this is not really solving the problem.

From what I have read here, nobody seems to be bothered too much about this to actually invest their own time. That is fine, too.

But it is sad.

I would prefer to have a conversation that in the end leads to something. That makes IPFire better. This one didn’t again. And that makes me sad.

4 Likes

I have to agree. I am unaware of the IPFire environment and I am not sure if I want to participate in the face of these statements. I ask the admin to close the post.
Anyway, I commend your work on IPFire.

I also agree with Michael’s statement.

I must apologize for having enlarged the discussion about words.

Changing names doesn’t change or improve functionality. In some cases it weakens understanding and thus possibly lowers quality. Just my opinion.

1 Like